transmission drip!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good call on the gear O-ring, I forgot about that.

If you're nice, they'll probably give you a seal from one of the dozens of left over kits they have laying around... I've done this a few times for cars we were putting together at work.

so thats a no-go on the gorilla tape? :lol:

So far the info on the o rings is good if it is coming for the speedo connection.

The other thing is to get a new drive/gear for the cable. The gears are plastic and wear. They also have ribs cut into them to help keep the fluid in.

I had a metric 200 ( I think) that leaked from that area, o rings slowed it, but replacing the gear stopped it.

It is a 5 minute repair.

The light green one is what yours should look like. (link below)

Just get the right amount of teeth. Should still be availible from GM.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... lAfR4bjIAg

Ok first off, that part is called the rear extension housing, and it's leaking form one of three places.

For starters its an easy part to remove, just unbolt the driveshaft at the u-joint, there should be Four bolts holding it on ( 3/8th in size if i'm correct), Then the extension housing is held on by 4 bolts ( 9/16th i believe).

It's either going to be leaking from the Speedometer gear housing, from the very end of the extension housing, or from the front of the extension housing, all easy fixes.

If its leaking from the speedometer gear housing check to make sure the housing isn't damaged, and make sure the O-ring is in tact.

If its leaking from the very rear of the housing where the drive shaft inserts, replace the Seal AND the bushing, Don't forget to replace the bushing with the seal or it will continue to leak, trust me i found that out the hard way.

Now if it's leaking from the very front of the housing (where it bolts to the transmission) then it's the O-ring for the housing itself, I'm not sure where you can buy this but I'm sure its an easy find, just hit up some local transmission shops and they'll have everything you need.

Ok quick diagnosis, if its leakin from the speedo housing will it cause my speedo needle to be a little jumpy?? Because mine is...

If the speedometer is a bit jumpy, this is not usually due to a leak. It may be due to a loose cable, a kinked cable sheath, or a bad speedometer.

It's a definite maybe!

The new fixture won't always correct the leak problem. I had bought a new one years ago and it too leaked. I even tried replacing the small center seal, which in most cases is the culprit...not so much the o-ring.

As for the bouncing speedo needle. It could be a bad cable or a bad fixture (bullet). I have noticed that some of the older ones I had, the bore where the driven gear goes into becomes worn or elongated.

As a matter of fact, mine still leaks in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor