Transmission fluid th400

Status
Not open for further replies.

warmonga

Greasemonkey
Apr 9, 2006
hey guys just wondering how much transmission fluid do you need to put on an complete empty th400 transmission .I recently put the transmission on my sons car and I put one gallon but the transmission stilll dont move the car.
thanks reggie

Kris_84elky

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2010
If the trans, including the torque converter is completely empty it will take up to 11 quarts, some a little more or less. If it's just the pan that's empty it will be around 4-5, again might be a little more or less. Just keep slowly adding and checking the dipstick. Also go through each gear for about 15 seconds with your foot on the brake to get fluid through the entire valve body. And check it when it is at operating temp, not cold.

warmonga

Greasemonkey
Apr 9, 2006
Kris_84elky said:
If the trans, including the torque converter is completely empty it will take up to 11 quarts, some a little more or less. If it's just the pan that's empty it will be around 4-5, again might be a little more or less. Just keep slowly adding and checking the dipstick. Also go through each gear for about 15 seconds with your foot on the brake to get fluid through the entire valve body. And check it when it is at operating temp, not cold.

but can I start the car and run it that long for it to heat up? I stated the car up couple of times but I do not want to let it run too long because am afriad it will burn up the transmission.. is it ok to run the engine until normal operation temperature so I can check the transmission?

reggie
Thanks kris

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Fill the trans with fluid up to the first small hole or hash mark while cold. As it warms up it will expand to the full mark.
You could cause damage to the Pump or the Converter running it with low fluid. Eight to nine Quarts to fill a dry 400.

Attachments

• transmission-fluid-dipstick.jpg
    transmission-fluid-dipstick.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 15,334

warmonga

Greasemonkey
Apr 9, 2006
tc1959 said:
Fill the trans with fluid up to the first small hole or hash mark while cold. As it warms up it will expand to the full mark.
You could cause damage to the Pump or the Converter running it with low fluid. Eight to nine Quarts to fill a dry 400.
ok cool am gonna try this ..
reggie

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor