Transmission issue..please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kodyvan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 9, 2019
1985 grand prix 3.8
Car will only go into 1st gear and reverse. When I shift into 2nd or D there is a whine / grinding noise but wont move the car at all. I don't know much at all about transmissions but this is my only car and I am trying to figure something out. If anyone could help it would be very appreciated.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It sounds like your transmission needs to be rebuilt or replaced. You might want to upgrade to a 200 4R

Reactions: 1 user

gbodysupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 26, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
If it is a 200, I think GM had a bulletin about that back in the 80s that you could look up about a direct clutch issue. If you're going to have it fixed, you might as well just overhaul the unit.

JayInLA

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 13, 2015
If it is a 200, I think GM had a bulletin about that back in the 80s that you could look up about a direct clutch issue. If you're going to have it fixed, you might as well just overhaul the unit.
Where would you look up the bulletin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor