transmission swap info needed!!!!!!! UPDATE 10/12/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

86CLCruiser

Apprentice
May 4, 2008
I am getting ready to drop in my fresh 4.3l and the trany that is with it is the THM200-4R and the one that came out is the TMH700-R4. Looking at the transmission's side by side the dimensions are pretty much the same but the bracket for the crossmember is in a different spot. Do i need the bracket that mounts to the transmission itself or do i need to swap out the entire crossmember all together. This is my only snag right now and its holding me up from getting this thing in and fired up. Any help would be appreciated

Re: transmission swap info needed!!!!!!!

As far as I know the 700r-4 is a longer trans than 200-4r. The crossmembers are also different. Also shifter cable and TV get replaced if I remember correctly. Since 700 is longer you will also need a new driveshaft since yours will be too short. I think that's it, I did almost the opposite switch. I pulled the 3spd 200C out and put in a 700r-4, so I had to shorten driveshaft, replace crossmember, and get the right shift & TV cables. Oh also I had to change the bracket on the intake that TV cable goes in.

no, the trannys are the same length, both about 28" from bell housing to rear seal, I would just keep the old transmission but the old one lost reverse a while ago and the new one was rebuilt less than 15k ago. Thanks for the help, i will check into all of that. And correct me if i am wrong, but i am pretty sure both transmission's I have are 4 speeds. I thought you could tell by the tanny pans, the 3 speed pan is square with 1 angles corner, the 4 speed 700 pan is square with 16 bolts and the 4 speed 200 is a longer rectanglular pan with 2 angled corners. Again i could be wrong, I am asking quiestions cause i dont know and i respect alot of peoples thoughts here, they know more than me. Thanks again

Something is suspicious here as the 700r4 is 3" longer then the 2004r plain and simple.....here read this : http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/Automat ... onSwap.htm scroll down to where it reads "size does matter". This is why I think your 2004r is a 4l60.....or your 700r4 is actually a 2004r???

JBreu said:
Something is suspicious here as the 700r4 is 3" longer then the 2004r plain and simple.....here read this : http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/Automat ... onSwap.htm scroll down to where it reads "size does matter". This is why I think your 2004r is a 4l60.....or your 700r4 is actually a 2004r???

i guess thats a possability, i am getting my info off the autozone website comparing the trans pans. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...Carlo/Transmission-Filter-A-T/_/N-ij0nlZ6o2e7 Either way, i just measured the transmission again, both are about 28" from bell housing to rear seal. And both shifter linkages are located in the same spot 9about 10" back from the bell housing. I am gonna throw it in today and it looks to me like i am just gonna need to fab up a bracket for the trans crossmember. Thanks guys

got everything straight, still couldnt tell you what trany i am putting in, but i know its the same length thank god. As for the crossmember, I noticed that there were 2 sets of mounting holes on the frame running up the drivers side and the holes in the crossmember on the passenger side are slotted. So after some slight mods to the crossmember, and swithing to the mouting holes on the drivers side, it bolts right up. Looks like somebody was thinking way ahead of me.

Thanks for all your help guys, now the Monte should be on the road tommorrow

Glad you got your "Mystery" transmission installed............That is one pretty Monte you have BTW 8)

JBreu said:
Glad you got your "Mystery" transmission installed............That is one pretty Monte you have BTW 8)

thanks, cant complain for the price i got it for. My aunt gave it to me for free, it sat in a feild for 3 years

84cutspreme said:
You might want to check out a chart like one of these to identify the trans...

http://www.700r4l60e.com/transmission_gm.html

good reference there, and that confirms what i said in my original post, the transmission i pulled was a 700r4 and the one i swapped it with is a 2004r. And i will promise you, they are the same length. I used all the original equipment but did have to modify the crossmember to get it to work. The speedo cable was the only thing that really moved and it was still plenty long enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor