transmission swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigedchevy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 1, 2010
I have an 87 regal with the 3.8 and th200 trans I bought a grand national 200r4 trans and would like to know if anyone has done the swap and could let me know what I need to do it and any other help would be awesome Thanks.

Attachments

• Regal wheels 008.JPG
    Regal wheels 008.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,285

brian

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 22, 2006
melfort Saskatchewan Canada
i think the driveshaft is the same but the transmission crossmember will need to be moved back on the frame rails or replaced with a different one. I'm not sure but their might be a TV cable to hook up on the 200r4 to the throttle linkage on the carb. I swapped one in place of a t350 a few years ago and it worked really good. Also if your car has column shift you can shorten the swing arm on the linkage and reach all 4 gears allthough the indicator won't line up anymore.
brian

bigedchevy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 1, 2010
I have all the floor shift stuff and am going to change it to floor shift but was wondering what all I would need to swap in the trans I have heard that I would need a different crossmember but I want to know for sure and if anyone knows where to find one? I was also needing to find out about the plug in on the side for the torque converter I have the same plug will it match and work? Thanks

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Here's a guy selling a stock 200-4R crossmember on this site. You would have to notch it out, or modify it for dual exhaust.
The price is right. Or you could post a want ad looking for an aftermarket dual exhaust X-member for a 2004R/ TH400.
I think you will infact need to replace the X-member. But on a plus note, you already have the frame extension built on to your frame being a later year G-body. You won't need the extension piece.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=24151

bigedchevy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 1, 2010
Does anyone know about the plugs on the side of the transmission? Mine is a two wire for the torque converter will it work with the 200r4?

bigedchevy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 1, 2010
I read the article but didn't answer the question. What has everyone else done to make their od transmisssion work after the swap. Mine has the 2 wire lockup plug in the 200r4 has 3wire lockup plug in can these just be swapped out or? The reason for the confusion is this if the 200r has a connection for lockup an so does the r4 why can't the plugs just be swapped what is the purpose of the 3rd wire?

joemadrum

Apprentice
Sep 16, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, FL
why mess with that 200, i got a 700R4 and the cross member jegs makes for 700's in a gbody...4 speed w/overdrive god i love my transmission. for both was like under $1500

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor