Trunk battery, ALT ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myles

Apprentice
Jun 17, 2011
Hey guys,

81 Malibu mostly stock wiring, but batterary in trunk. 0/1 Gauge cable to starter, Battery grounded to frame and body.

Block to be grounded to frame with 1foot of 4 gauge.

How can I ground the alternator case?
Can i ground it to the cylinder head?
Or must it be block? Chassis? And what gauge?

I dont want to run a long ground from the alt to the rear of car. ALT bracket is aftermarket aluminum..

Thanks!

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I wouldn't think you would need an additional ground. Wouldn't hurt anything if you did though. Head, block, chassis, doesn't really matter as they are all tied together by your block to chassis cable.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
I wouldn't think you would need an additional ground. Wouldn't hurt anything if you did though. Head, block, chassis, doesn't really matter as they are all tied together by your block to chassis cable.

X2. Any aftermarket starter (and most factory ones I think,) are grounding through the aluminium block/case. Aluminium alternator bracket should be no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor