GRAND PRIX Trunk floor rusted out at left rear quarter panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

43grandprix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 29, 2010
The rear window on my '82 Grand Prix was leaking for over a year and I unfortunately forgot all about it! The trunk floor has rusted out where the rear quarter panel meets it. Is there a repair panel available that will match the Grand Prix? Have only found one that fits a Cutlass. The body shop I'm going to have repair the hole says they can patch it with a piece of metal and that I don't need a factory repair panel. Just wondered what the group's thoughts or suggestions are on this before I have it repaired. I got the window leak fixed as good as I could. Unfortunately, the car has a landau padded vinyl top. Someday I'm going to have it removed. Have obtained two non-vinyl top side windows and rear window trim with the metal piece that goes in front of the deck lid for the conversion. Thanks.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Unfortunately, the car has a landau padded vinyl top. Someday I'm going to have it removed.
It's sad to say but the vinyl tops are notorious for hiding rust that they created by being on there in the first place so the sooner you find out what damage is underneath the better.
As far as rust repair if the shop feels confident about making a patch I would just go that route the GP dosn't have that much aftermarket support for rust repair panels.

43grandprix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 29, 2010
It's sad to say but the vinyl tops are notorious for hiding rust that they created by being on there in the first place so the sooner you find out what damage is underneath the better.
As far as rust repair if the shop feels confident about making a patch I would just go that route the GP dosn't have that much aftermarket support for rust repair panels.

Yes, the body shop said they said making a patch is just as good as using the Cutlass repair patch available from G-Body Parts.com and of course would be cheaper. I've always hated vinyl tops! They are nothing but a pain to deal with later. You are right about the rust damage they cause down the road! Hope mine isn't real bad, but would not be surprised!

43grandprix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 29, 2010
Yes, the body shop said they said making a patch is just as good as using the Cutlass repair patch available from G-Body Parts.com and of course would be cheaper. I've always hated vinyl tops! They are nothing but a pain to deal with later. You are right about the rust damage they cause down the road! Hope mine isn't real bad, but would not be surprised!

Forgot to mention that it's sad that the GP doesn't have the aftermarket parts available like its siblings do! Is that because the GP isn't as popular?

43grandprix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 29, 2010
If you're dealing with inner sheet metal (trunk, floors, wheelhouse, etc,) I wouldn't be concerned about model specific.

Yes, the rusted out area is inside where no one will see it unless of course, you open the trunk. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor