Tuning an Olds engine, Is this accurate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
The CCC system assumes a base mechanical static advance of 20° with no computer advance/retard applied. If you set it to this with the CCC system connected (and in the right mode for setting the base timing), you will then have factory timing when you put the computer back into operational mode. With that said, the computer has no idea what you have the static timing set to. This means you can set the static timing to 22° or 23° (or more) and have a bump in a few degrees across the entire operational RPM/load range. That guy in the vid is talking about old school stuff (and I would NOT listen/heed anything he says).

Reactions: 1 users

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Mike R., do you remember what two pins on the ALDL connector that you jumper to put it in diagnostic mode?

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
Sorry for the dumb question, aside from our '04 Suburban all my other cars are 79 or older. This Cutlass is new to me and is an 84, so the 80's electronics are a bit new to me. What year did the CCC system start taking care of timing and such?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Mike R., do you remember what two pins on the ALDL connector that you jumper to put it in diagnostic mode?
Yeah, the A and B terminal needs to be jumped. A is ground, B is diagnostic port. Normally the upper right two top ports.

Here's some good info on it in another thread.

dlc1-jpg.26882

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor