turning signals not working even after replacing flasher

johnnunez29

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2022
Like title says, i replaced the flasher but i am still not getting a turn signal. i was abke to get the hazards working but no turn. I did install all new led bulbs so i am running an led flasher. the flashers i swapped are located on the left side of steering column in a very uncomfortable area to reach, is there another flasher i shoukld be loking for? i have seen some pics where they had the flasher by the radio. I do have the 2 spots on fuse box but none of those have the pins.

At the turn signal hazard connector C104 at the steering column, (see below) find the PURPLE wire in the flat connector (dash harness side, not side going into the column) and check it for 12v to ground with a test light.

**Make sure the IGN is on, as note hazards work at all times...turn signals only work with IGN in RUN.

If the test light lights, you have a bad turn hazard switch most likely since you said the hazards are working which means all the wiring to the FRT/RR lights is fine. The Turn Hazard switch in the column has separate switch contacts internally for the Turn vs Hazard function but the rest of the chassis wiring out to the FRT/RR bulbs is shared.

If the PURPLE wire has no 12v (test light does NOT light) then you have:
  • Open PURPLE wire from Turn Flasher to the Turn Hazard Switch (flasher missing??)
  • Bad Turn Flasher (by the radio, or near the column in metal clip), two wires to it should be DK BLUE and PURPLE
  • BLOWN fuse in Fuse Panel labeled TURN 20A
The Hazard flasher should be in the Fuse Panel, top left corner...if it's not and it's just clipped under dash to harness, the wire colors should be Orange and Brown in it's connector.

The flat connector C104 should have both the BROWN and PURPLE wires right next to each other; BROWN feeding Hazards (Hot at all times), PURPLE feeding Turn Signals (Hot in Run).

Both the BROWN and PURPLE are coming from their respective FLASHERS into the Turn Hazard Switch at the column.

BROWN -> Hazards from STOP fuse
PURPLE -> Turn Signals from TURN fuse

HTH

1725243469854.png

At the turn signal hazard connector C104 at the steering column, (see below) find the PURPLE wire in the flat connector (dash harness side, not side going into the column) and check it for 12v to ground with a test light.

**Make sure the IGN is on, as note hazards work at all times...turn signals only work with IGN in RUN.

If the test light lights, you have a bad turn hazard switch most likely since you said the hazards are working which means all the wiring to the FRT/RR lights is fine. The Turn Hazard switch in the column has separate switch contacts internally for the Turn vs Hazard function but the rest of the chassis wiring out to the FRT/RR bulbs is shared.

If the PURPLE wire has no 12v (test light does NOT light) then you have:
  • Open PURPLE wire from Turn Flasher to the Turn Hazard Switch (flasher missing??)
  • Bad Turn Flasher (by the radio, or near the column in metal clip), two wires to it should be DK BLUE and PURPLE
  • BLOWN fuse in Fuse Panel labeled TURN 20A
The Hazard flasher should be in the Fuse Panel, top left corner...if it's not and it's just clipped under dash to harness, the wire colors should be Orange and Brown in it's connector.

The flat connector C104 should have both the BROWN and PURPLE wires right next to each other; BROWN feeding Hazards (Hot at all times), PURPLE feeding Turn Signals (Hot in Run).

Both the BROWN and PURPLE are coming from their respective FLASHERS into the Turn Hazard Switch at the column.

BROWN -> Hazards from STOP fuse
PURPLE -> Turn Signals from TURN fuse

HTH

View attachment 244980
thank you. we did go over this yesterday and we do have 12v, we even added power to the cables using the tester and the lights worked. HOWEVER i did see this spade looking connector loose and thought nothing of it because it is an LS swapped car and a bunch of stuff is not used now. But a few mins ago while looking for a solution on the google i found the turn signal (cruise control) lever and it has the same spade looking connector. But i have no clue where that goes connected.

thats the connector, i did not do the wiring in this car and im not sure if this is it at all. or if it has anyhting to do with it. i also switched hazard to turn flasher today got no turn again so i put it back and now i have no hazards either. MAN i hate electrical problems

Attachments

• arbc505401_1.webp
    arbc505401_1.webp
    16.8 KB · Views: 9
thats the connector, i did not do the wiring in this car and im not sure if this is it at all. or if it has anyhting to do with it. i also switched hazard to turn flasher today got no turn again so i put it back and now i have no hazards either. MAN i hate electrical problems
Those wires from the turn signal lever (aka stalk) are actually entirely for the CRUISE CONTROL functions. There's 4 wires total, and the factory harness connector actually accepts an printed circuit board connector from the stalk with contacts on both sides that make the connection. (see pic below)

If you're not using FACTORY cruise control in the car, those wires are not needed and you should be able to find a stalk (new/used?) for a NON CRUISE equipped to use instead, or just leave it and tie the wires up under dash. If the car is going to get some aftermarket cruise control, then those wires *might* be usable if it's compatible...(ie; Dakota Digital).

Note that the WIPER/WASHER switch functions/wiring are all inside the column, and the "stalk" just pushes into it and moves the wiper switch when rotating, and pressing turning the little washer tab.

Did you possibly blow either of the STOP / TURN fuses when testing things out?

The steps I gave you should lead you to the issue, it's not overly complicated imho...

STOP fuse feeds Hazard flasher 12v (orange wire) other wire on Hazard flasher feeds Turn Hazard Switch in Column (purple wire), Turn Hazard switch feeds FRT/RR bulb wiring.

TURN fuse feeds Turn Signal flasher 12v (dk blue wire) other wire on Turn Flasher feeds Turn Hazard Switch in Column (purple wire), Turn Hazard switch feeds FRT/RR bulb wiring.

1725246393735.png

Those wires from the turn signal lever (aka stalk) are actually entirely for the CRUISE CONTROL functions. There's 4 wires total, and the factory harness connector actually accepts an printed circuit board connector from the stalk with contacts on both sides that make the connection. (see pic below)

If you're not using FACTORY cruise control in the car, those wires are not needed and you should be able to find a stalk (new/used?) for a NON CRUISE equipped to use instead, or just leave it and tie the wires up under dash. If the car is going to get some aftermarket cruise control, then those wires *might* be usable if it's compatible...(ie; Dakota Digital).

Note that the WIPER/WASHER switch functions/wiring are all inside the column, and the "stalk" just pushes into it and moves the wiper switch when rotating, and pressing turning the little washer tab.

Did you possibly blow either of the STOP / TURN fuses when testing things out?

The steps I gave you should lead you to the issue, it's not overly complicated imho...

STOP fuse feeds Hazard flasher 12v (orange wire) other wire on Hazard flasher feeds Turn Hazard Switch in Column (purple wire), Turn Hazard switch feeds FRT/RR bulb wiring.

TURN fuse feeds Turn Signal flasher 12v (dk blue wire) other wire on Turn Flasher feeds Turn Hazard Switch in Column (purple wire), Turn Hazard switch feeds FRT/RR bulb wiring.

View attachment 244983
No. I checked all the fuses. Weird cuz before I swapped the flashers if I put on left turn it wouldn’t do anything and on right turn it would light up green on dash but no flashing. Hopefully it doesn’t rain all day tomorrow AGAIN. And I’m able to go look under that damn dash. I even removed the convenience center to check. By any chance do you know if the system is grounded through the steering column? I do have that loose. I never fully tightened it

By any chance do you know if the system is grounded through the steering column? I do have that loose. I never fully tightened it
Yes, the ground (G104) on the left side of steering column must be connected for the dash turn indicators to work, and likely other dash/column functions.

Reactions: Sweet_Johnny
No. I checked all the fuses. Weird cuz before I swapped the flashers if I put on left turn it wouldn’t do anything and on right turn it would light up green on dash but no flashing. Hopefully it doesn’t rain all day tomorrow AGAIN. And I’m able to go look under that damn dash. I even removed the convenience center to check. By any chance do you know if the system is grounded through the steering column? I do have that loose. I never fully tightened it
except for the other things you described, this would sound like you had the wrong flasher installed for LED. what happens if you reinstall the original resistance filament bulbs? do the flashers work?

Like title says, i replaced the flasher but i am still not getting a turn signal. i was abke to get the hazards working but no turn. I did install all new led bulbs so i am running an led flasher. the flashers i swapped are located on the left side of steering column in a very uncomfortable area to reach, is there another flasher i shoukld be loking for? i have seen some pics where they had the flasher by the radio. I do have the 2 spots on fuse box but none of those have the pins.
I had the same issue even with the led flasher which I tried multiple different, flashers would work, I ended up putting resistors in line at the fronts and that solved it

These are what I used

You can see then on the core support IMG_4846.jpeg

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor