Twin turbo kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I've been looking at the b&m superchargers on ebay that most come with everything and most guys are asking under a grand for the setup, which isn't too bad. If I went with a turbo, I would only probably go with a single cause that would give me plenty of power for the street and strip.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
84cutspreme said:
I do have to agree, but it is still a v6, we talking about 350 now

yeah and those V6's are highly sought after whereas people literally throw away SBCs all the time.

IF you know turbos and know how to set one up, it doesnt matter what the engine is. of course if you're an idiot and dont know what you're doing it still doesnt matter what engine your using. get the idea?

he wants a turbo, good for him, let's help him find a good one to use, not discourage him from doing something to his own vehicle or try to talk him into using something he doesnt want to use.

my advice to him would be to check out one of the GN forums, they'd be able to help him much more. turbobuick.com would be a good place to start. they have a section for V8 turbos.

turbos are for anyone. this thinking that turbos are for tuners is rather short sighted. many a GN owner would disagree with you as well as anyone with a turbo V8. i wont even mention all the trucks on the road with turbo diesel engines. and yes they make performance parts for those engines. and guess how much torque they make? GOBS. i've heard 700+ easy with minor mods with the cummins engine. turbos are good power adders and can be used for virtually any application, they have proven their basic design over the decades on many engines in many vehicles.

i'm not saying superchargers are bad, they arent. i just dont think you give turbos enough credit and i dont think you realize just how widely they've been usedand are continuing to be used.

Attachments

• 20140624_171053_resized.jpg
    20140624_171053_resized.jpg
    587.8 KB · Views: 138

gto78

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2010
Port St Lucie, Florida
My cousin is a mechanic at a local Chevy dealer for about 14 years. Once in a while he comes across a turbo on a v-8. Usually its a Lingenfelter corvette, but also someone brought in a 1990's Chevy truck with a "high altitude" package. It's a turbo for vehicles driven at high altitude, probably from Denver. I don't know if it was a factory install or dealer install, but it looked stock and the owner said it was there since he bought the truck new. This turbo was a "ground normalizing" turbo, basically to keep you from losing power at altitude, not to gain more power than stock. Just another example of v-8 with turbo, they work great and can be used however you want to use them.

I'm a fan of using one big turbo, not twin turbos. Not only does it cost more for two, but the peak output is usually less with a twin setup. A lot of times with twins, one turbo is designed to make power at lower rpm, the other at higher rpm, but you aren't getting power from both at the same time, and you are using small turbos so the volume is less. With one big turbo you get massive volume throughout the power band. Only problem is turbo lag on larger turbos, which can be dealt with and still worth it when you look at the dyno.

Gmuscle

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 6, 2010
Some people talk bad about turbo's like they don't work or something. The first production turbo car was an American made car. The 1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire Turbo Rocket. It had the small, aluminum 215 V8. It may not have been the best turbo car but, I find it amazing that GM was the first to go that route.

Anyways, the ebay kit may be good to use if different (non-chinese made) turbo's are used. A good choice would be Holset HX turbo's. They are very durable, inexpensive and easy to rebuild. The piping and all the extra's should work fine but will most likely need some tweaking. Personally, I'd go with a custom, 1 turbo kit. As mentioned in an above post, it's easier to deal with and is more than enough to produce big numbers. Do a lot of research before choosing anything as it is very important to choose a turbo or turbo's to suit your horsepower goals and engine size.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
This idea is not for sure. The benefits of the turbo is that it is efficient being that it is driven by the exhaust and not a belt off the front of the motor. I agree that a one turbo kit is better than twin turbos. My 350 is already making 380hp and 425lb. So with a large turbo I could get some serious power. The only downside is that I would have to get dished pistons, but I'm already running a 72 or 76cc head so the compression is decent. And I can't remember if my bottom end is all forged...I think it is.

Like I said, it was a nice though for a possible future build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor