Uh, about EV battery fires ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I'm confounded by the mere fact that sheeple are now convinced that shifting a carbon footprint with EVs is the only way to go green, as if somehow they're the panacea that everyone's been missing. What I don't see is anyone respecting the choice that people have whether to accept the technology into their own garage or not. EV's good, ICE bad. That's simply a BS political talking point.

EV's are growing in numbers. Nobody's going to stop them from coming. But I despise the cancel culture that comes with the virtue signalers cries of somehow you hate the environment if you like ICEs over EVs. I do not mind sharing the road with an EV. I just get very tired of people thinking because I choose not to entertain any ideas of owning an EV that I'm against others owning them. And I really despise the hypocrites that push EVs like they're the Second Coming but yet won't sell their ICE cars, or take them immediately to the crusher. Their money isn't where their mouth is. If you're driving an ICE and espousing how cool EVs are, STFU until all you have is a Tesla, etc., etc. I hope they get them here in numbers to start showing REAL safety statistics instead of the small sampling that some EV builders are cherry picking to show how much "safer" battery cars are. Sample pool is still too small for me. And when you're using 90 times the water resources to put out a battery fire than a typical ICE fire, at this rate you're going to need a separate EV fire department in order to keep fires from destroying cities due to lack of available firefighters. First world problems.

Technological advances are leaving even the best mechanics of today in the dust due to training and expensive equipment needs. Heck, even the OLD technology messes with mechanics. Anyone ever try to find a CCC carburetor expert out in the wild? Oh, they can tune the f**k out of your LS engine, but can't figure out what an IAB is on your quadrajet. And that's going to be even worse with the EV going into the future. If it's a drive train problem, you'll likely need a master tech or electronics engineer to be able to diagnose and fix your problems. And dealerships are already full of so-called techs that can't even find their azz with a funnel. A few good ones, but not like in the past.

Reactions: 6 users

Burd

Greasemonkey
Apr 7, 2021
Detroit
Anyone watch that Brit show, where they put elec motors in classic cars? I could t watch.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
If I live long enough to see our daily salt pusher fail I’ll be in the market for an EV SUV. Range isn’t a big deal since we have other ICE cars in the fleet for long trips. The city I live in has its own independent power plant and $/KWH is among the lowest in the nation. My garage is already set up for 220 so no extra cost there for charging. Wifey’s work is less than 5 miles away so a full charge might be needed once every month or more? Dunno. We’ve been dependent on gasoline for far too long. I’ll enjoy driving by all the overpriced gas stations. Just wait and see how the Scranton village idiot will drive up gasoline prices. You might think differently then.

Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
If I live long enough to see our daily salt pusher fail I’ll be in the market for an EV SUV. Range isn’t a big deal since we have other ICE cars in the fleet for long trips. The city I live in has its own independent power plant and $/KWH is among the lowest in the nation. My garage is already set up for 220 so no extra cost there for charging. Wifey’s work is less than 5 miles away so a full charge might be needed once every month or more? Dunno. We’ve been dependent on gasoline for far too long. I’ll enjoy driving by all the overpriced gas stations. Just wait and see how the Scranton village idiot will drive up gasoline prices. You might think differently then.

The issue here isn't that EVs aren't an option. They absolutely are. It's that they are being touted as the only option in "the future" despite nothing substantial being in place to support them. Thus transferring the risk and responsibility to the general population.

The naive leaders of this EV movement seem to believe that of the hundreds of millions (?) of vehicles on the road today they will be replaced with "clean" vehicles. But seemingly ignore that there are so many countries that will never get on board. Because they cannot afford to (maybe your money will be sent to save them from the evil gasoline boogeyman ?). So they will continue to live off of natural resources (which we mysteriously stopped worrying about running out of) and the Western world will neuter itself with electricity dependant mobility - because it is trendy and virtuous more so than practical or reasonable. Something something obscene vulnerability to cyber attacks.

Good luck getting anywhere in a hurry during a snowstorm in the midst of a ransomware attack if the magic pixies don't come out of the wall. It just had to snow in Texas for a week to show how ill prepared we are.

Add to this the social programming is on going. Just wait until we start publicly shaming people who cannot, or choose not, partake. Think everyone is a racist, anti-vaxxer, flat-earther, kook today - the division created from social pressure will further degrade society.

Lastly, we are going to pay for it either way. Everyone is going to get taxed into oblivion to pay for the infrastructure... which will be built off of, and with, petroleum. This is a false economy - but, someone is bound to get wealthier off it.

EDIT: autocorrect had a field day with this post. AI my @ss.

Last edited:
  • Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 6 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Bonus - just wait until they throttle your access to the magic pixies because the grid cannot handle you recharging your EV during office hours for your commute home. Priority goes to the production of things.

Add the romanticism of the f*cking "internet of things" to my growing list of "futard" scepticisms.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
The issue here isn't that EVs aren't an option. They absolutely are. It's that they are being touted as the only option in "the future" despite nothing substantial being in place to support them. Thus transferring the risk and responsibility to the general population.

The naive leaders of this EV movement seem to believe that of the hundreds of millions (?) of vehicles on the road today they will be replaced with "clean" vehicles. But seemingly ignore that there are so many countries that will never get on board. Because they cannot afford to (maybe your money will be sent to save them from the evil gasoline boogeyman ?). So they will continue to live off of natural resources (which we mysteriously stopped worrying about running out of) and the Western world will neuter itself with electricity dependant mobility - because it is trendy and virtuous more so than practical or reasonable. Something something obscene vulnerability to cyber attacks.

Good luck getting anywhere in a hurry during a snowstorm in the midst of a ransomware attack if the magic pixies don't come out of the wall. It just had to snow in Texas for a week to show how ill prepared we are.

Add to this the social programming is on going. Just wait until we start publicly shaming people who cannot, or choose not, partake. Think everyone is a racist, anti-vaxxer, flat-earther, kook today - the division created from social pressure will further degrade society.

Lastly, we are going to pay for it either way. Everyone is going to get taxed into oblivion to pay for the infrastructure... which will be built off of, and with, petroleum. This is a false economy - but, someone is bound to get wealthier off it.

EDIT: autocorrect had a field day with this post. AI my @ss.
There's rolling blackouts because folks can't get home from work and turn on a little a/c.

somehow, magically, millions of evs will be able to pull in the garage though at that same time of day and plug in no problem.

Meanwhile, gasoline tax money will decrease exponentially. Try looking into how they spend that money in your neck o the woods. hint: it's more than just roads.

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
That's my biggest concern with the modern push. EV's are declared as THE path forward, bar none. Ignore drive cycles, resource availability, cost, ect. If it moves it NEEDS to be battery powered to save the planet. If you don't believe, you are a science denier.

Passenger automotive contributes to a share of emissions generation to mobile systems, which is then a share of total energy consumption, but because most people own a passenger car and doesn't see on or off highway industrial equipment, factory, commercial building or residential home energy usage people just assume the problem is rooted in passenger transportation and batteries are the best for everything.

The goal should be reduced emissions through whatever solution best benefits the specific application.

Certainly EV's can be A path forward, especially for certain drive cycles. Things like fleets, mail delivery trucks, busses, certain cars. Honestly passenger cars in many ways are not an ideal use of battery resources but if people want to spend their money on them, they should be able to. High stop start, fixed drive cycle applications, parking in locations where charging is easy makes total sense. Mail trucks should be electric tomorrow because their usage perfectly matches the pros of electric power.

Things like over the road semi trucks, off highway equipment (excavators, tractors) are TERRIBLE applications for battery vehicles. They need to operate for hours at a time with inconsistent parking (charging) locations, have weight limits, ect.

I have a good friend that worked on diesel engine tuning for a fortune 100 company for oversees off-highway equipment. Specifically for the Chinese market. China mandated tier 4 like emissions for their products 2-3 years ago (DEF, EGR, regen, full USA/Euro spec), exhaust cleaner than the air that goes in. The total joke is that they were filled with DEF from the factory but had legal emissions 'defeat' software from the factory. China wrote the law to say the equipment had to be sold with Tier 4 compliant emissions but actual use is up to the purchaser. If the DEF tank runs out the ECM just defaults to the Tier 2/3 compliant table. Basically, you buy your new equipment and as soon as the DEF tank runs out it you can never fill the tank again and it's fine.

There are significant implementation issues with battery based vehicles. Some will be solved, some won't.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Burd

Greasemonkey
Apr 7, 2021
Detroit
I used to set up the Nissan leaf stuff, they had a model of a typical city, parking lots are to have charging mats installed under the blacktop, so you car charges like a cell phone mat works, I don’t see that all working.
I don’t see any Leafs on the road? 🤔

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor