UMI Springs rubbing UMI LCA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
My guess is the last rung is touching the side of the pocket. When it moves, you hear it. The stock height coils probably do not move the last rung.

I'd let it make noise for a while. Then drop the lower control arm and get the spring out. If it was rubbing long enough, there should be a bare metal witness mark to tell you where there needs to be more clearance.

Maverick's_Monte

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2011
Rhode Island
They cannot be rotated. I'm going to put a GoPro under the car and cycle the suspension to see what's going on. There might be a quarter inch clearance between the spring OD and the spring pocket ID. It's pretty tight.
Camera under the car...Can't tell you how many times this approach provided the missing links to troubleshoot a problem when there is no one else around. An example of how technology can help...not hurt...

1654781086756.png

Reactions: 1 user

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I think where UMI responded to greasing where these parts meet and in addition how their coil over set up won't have this same issue it might be a fairly common occurrence with these cars. I haven't laid eyes on stock spring in years but the OE lower control arm has a much larger spring pocket where these ones have a much smaller and flat seat area.

Reactions: 1 user

Bobbystill

Apprentice
Mar 24, 2019
**Update**

I drove the car from MD to FL when I moved and the noise has gone away. The trip was mostly on I-95 between 70-80 mph. Maybe the springs fully seated up into the frame pockets, I don't know. The video I took of the suspension cycling definitely showed the bottom coil getting stuck in the LCA and then popping back out. Seems to have resolved itself for now.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor