under hood light question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RO86SS

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2009
tampa,fl
I'm a little stumped.my question is how does the lamp on the hood function.I know the light connects to a wire that runs to the head light harness from the fuse block.But what makes it turn on?Is there some kind of switch.Thanks in advance for the help

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I know mine is powered all the time but the light only comes on when you lift the hood because there is a built
in mercury switch.
I actually mounted two on my hood and wired a switch under the hood to turn them on and off because when I go
full throttle(obviously with the hood closed) they would come on and I could see the light through my hood vents.

Attachments

• IMG_0096.JPG
    IMG_0096.JPG
    235.3 KB · Views: 1,591

RO86SS

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2009
tampa,fl
Where can I buy that Mercury switch?

Highwood Malibu

Greasemonkey
Jul 14, 2011
Calgary Alberta Canada
Is the bulb good? Normally the switch is not the problem.

RO86SS

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2009
tampa,fl
Yes brand new bulb.But I cant even find that switch on my hood.it used to work before but I don't remember even taking it out.Where exactly is it?

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
RO86SS said:
Yes brand new bulb.But I cant even find that switch on my hood.it used to work before but I don't remember even taking it out.Where exactly is it?
The "switch" is part of the lamp. There is a small amount of liquid mercury that makes the connection when you tip the lamp by opening the hood. It has one 12 volt power wire to the lamp and it is grounded to the hood through the base of the lamp. If you have power to the lamp and the ground surface is not rusted or covered with paint then the lamp assembly is probably bad. You can usually find them on E-Bay. Or a wreaking yard.

Attachments

• imagesCA6H15DE.jpg
    imagesCA6H15DE.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 1,457

RO86SS

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2009
tampa,fl
Thanks allot I didn't know it was all one unit.I'll check it out

Frank

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 29, 2009
Ohio
I bought an under hood light for my 79 Malibu. I see on the hood where it mounts but can't locate where the power connection is. The power wire is about 20 inches with an in line fuse. I'm sure I can locate a hot wire even if I connect it to the fuse box but I would like to connect it where it belongs. Any help is appreciated.

• Friendly
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor