Upper control arm removal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeezySupreme

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
Well I usually just jump into it and see if I can do it but this looks pretty hard to do is there any specific things
I need to do to remove it any special tool. Should I just drop the lower control arm to losing the spring up?

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
If you leave the shock it and get the car stable enough, with a jack under the lower control arm you can unbolt the upper ball joint then the two main bolts that hold the upper arm to the frame and take the arm off without taking the lower control arm, spindle or brakes off. The reason i say leave the shock in is so the lower control arm doesnt slip and the spring hit you in the face

TeezySupreme

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
84dragcutlass said:
If you leave the shock it and get the car stable enough, with a jack under the lower control arm you can unbolt the upper ball joint then the two main bolts that hold the upper arm to the frame and take the arm off without taking the lower control arm, spindle or brakes off. The reason i say leave the shock in is so the lower control arm doesnt slip and the spring hit you in the face

Thank you, I sure dont want to get an uppercut from that spring but ill try it out to see and with the engine out it should be alot easier right because my engine is being rebuilt or should i wait because i need the weight of the enigine?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Unless you have some heavy friends (weight wise) I'd wait until the engine is back in place.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
84dragcutlass said:
then the two main bolts that hold the upper arm to the frame and take the arm off without taking the lower control arm, spindle or brakes off.

Be careful removing the (2) upper control arm bolts. They have splines on them that are designed to press into the frame to keep them stationary. Do not try to turn them or you will wreck the splines. Remove the nuts from the other end and tap them out with a mallet. Good luck

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
and the nuts are metric in case you weren't sure, #18.....11/16 is real close if you don't have an 18. When you are putting it back together remember to line up the cotter pin hole on the ball joint so it's easy to get the pin in

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor