V-8's how much longer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
LOL, l've had that car for 20 years and the engine for half again, if l put 200 miles a year on one of them cars l'd be amazed.
So a roller system isn't so much of an issue and l can see an issue trying to find a roller lifter set up here, 3 weeks later!! Lol
But if you wipe a lifter on a fresh build with 150 miles and it takes out the cam lobe and then sends metal shavings or pieces throughout the engine which could take out the oil pump, bearings and scratch or damage cylinder walls and piston skirts etc.
By the time you replace the cam, lifters, bearings, gaskets etc. and clean and re prep the block you have already paid for a roller cam except you won't have one and you will again be hoping for the best on the new flat tappet cam. Just my opinion others may vary.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Well it's already back together, so maybe next time if there is. But as l'm trying to get that car out of what little hair l have, an the Olds is in need of fresh heads and the Monty is getting ready for that 502, so complete off frame to reinforce, l'm a bit side tracked.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
But if you wipe a lifter on a fresh build with 150 miles and it takes out the cam lobe and then sends metal shavings or pieces throughout the engine which could take out the oil pump, bearings and scratch or damage cylinder walls and piston skirts etc.
By the time you replace the cam, lifters, bearings, gaskets etc. and clean and re prep the block you have already paid for a roller cam except you won't have one and you will again be hoping for the best on the new flat tappet cam. Just my opinion others may vary.

So negative, lol!! When we built Engine we started up without valve covers first because we noticed that one was plugged on the end, so we want to see if they would flow, 2 didn't and replaced, so we didn't even get a breakin on cam. But the oil filter has been changed with oil every 50 miles and once lifted engine up and dropped pan with out any grit/metal found.

Now with that being said, was it the lifter that really caused the pop threw the carb? Cold engine, high rpm so??? Takes forever to warm up, cold blooded.

It was taken apart because of what l remember about them push rods, cam scratch was so mild had to look with magnifying glasses, but it was there. Lifter weird pattern on bottom. So just swap it all out, cause l have another cam.

So all in all it was a judgement call, maybe ok, maybe not, but l'm also a believe of use what you got. Both other BB's are rollers.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
It was taken apart because of what l remember about them push rods, cam scratch was so mild had to look with magnifying glasses, but it was there. Lifter weird pattern on bottom. So just swap it all out, cause l have another cam.
I have seen so many people try to save money with a flat tappet cam only to have it fail and cost them a lot of time and money, so hopefully you caught yours in time.

• Agree

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
So l just wonder how long it's going to be before its impossible to get new parts for the older V-8's? Could be a Canadian thing!!
When I was getting everything to rebuild my 350 SBC it was almost all ordered parts. 10-15 years ago parts store had everything but bare blocks or heads, now it's hope you don't need it today.

• Agree

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
I called every parts store in town looking for a rod bearing. 3 out of the 4 couldn't find anything in the computer. It was a 350 chevy. 1 of the stores, the guy never heard of it and couldn't even pronounce it.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I called every parts store in town looking for a rod bearing. 3 out of the 4 couldn't find anything in the computer. It was a 350 chevy. 1 of the stores, the guy never heard of it and couldn't even pronounce it.
You got a 3 fitty in there.

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Well to it's nuts Atleast have qualified car guys behind the counter, qualified mean knows how to change there oil.

The thing that struck me was that they have parts for a number of 4 cylinders! It makes me nerves on where 8 cylinders are going to be found

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The thing that struck me was that they have parts for a number of 4 cylinders! It makes me nerves on where 8 cylinders are going to be found
JB Weld two fours together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor