V-8's how much longer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Its a sign of the times as V8s are generally being phased out. Heck many look down at n/a V8s as being slow outdated dinos compared to turbo V6s and I4s.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Nowadays I won't build any engine without having a budget for a roller set up with no break in issues, increased valve train longevity or having to run additives or special oils the added expense is worth the piece of mind it brings IMO.
flat tappet ftw. Roller setups are expensive as hell for BOP stuff. Now, if I still had my 429 BBF, roller all day.

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
I have six cars in my fleet. Five of them are V8 and rear wheel drive. The newest of those five is a 1988.

A few weeks ago, I needed a vacuum advance for an HEI in a Chevy 350. "Not Today" was the only answer I could get from EVERY parts store in a five mile radius. I ended up going to Summit World Headquarters which luckily is about a 30 minute drive for me.

But it just leaves me shaking my head.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
  • Agree

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
You know what else is an oxymoron? Roller cam Buick.
I could probably buy a SBC crate engine for the price of a roller cam set up for your Buick.
I just looked in my Howard's catalog thinking they might have an affordable Buick roller cam only to find they are not offered and also have a very limited selection of Buick cams in general.

Last edited:

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I could probably buy a SBC crate engine for the price of a roller cam set up for your Buick.
I just looked in my Howard's catalog thinking they might have an affordable Buick roller cam only to find they are not offered and also have a very limited selection of Buick cams in general.
Just looked it up, hydraulic roller lifters for Buicks, at least the SBB, don't exist. They'd hemorrhage too much oil at full lift. Buick lifters are designed so they don't do that, for lack of better phrasing. Only roller lifters available are solid, and they have a type of shroud that prevents said hemorrhaging, and they are $693. Cams are $484 and up. Just for the cam. So, in essence, flat tappet for the win. But it's by default.

• Agree

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I remember reading that special block machining was required to run roller lifters on a SBB for that exact reason.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Yep. 100% not worth it, even if I had the money.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Could you post a picture of the SBB lifter bore oil holes? The ones in my Series 2 were massive slots, like 3/8"x1/4". I bet there's a trick that involves bushing the lifter bores to use a different make lifter, but TA doesn't mention that on their site. I wonder if it could be done. I have about $700 (350-cam, 330- lifters) in the roller for the Olds, and don't regret one penny of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor