vfn fiberglass hoods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2010
im lookin into ordering a hood for my 78 cutlass has anyone used vfn priducts before and how was the quality and fit of their hoods thanks for any input

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I had one on my '87 Cutlass for a while. Fit was okay out of the box. Their bolt-on hoods only weigh around 22lbs or so.

Just keep in mind, ANY fiberglass hood you buy is going to take a LOT of bodywork to make them look good. You just can't bolt one on out of the box, scuff it and shoot it with paint and expect it to look right.

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
Do the VFNs have the correct center body line or is just the generic camaro line in the center like cheap hoods?

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
They have a center rib like most other Camaro copies. Your not going to find a bolt-on cowl hood that has provisions for stock hood chrome.

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
FE3X CLONE said:
They have a center rib like most other Camaro copies. Your not going to find a bolt-on cowl hood that has provisions for stock hood chrome.

Nah I was just hoping I could find one sans body line. I'm deleting the hood chrome anyway.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
stomis said:
FE3X CLONE said:

Nah I was just hoping I could find one sans body line. I'm deleting the hood chrome anyway.

Yeah, your only option with that is to go with a mold-on or bolt-on cowl scoop like the FE3X scoop or something similar.

And I agree, the Camaro body line on all these cowl scoops just doesn't look "right" on an Olds hood considering there's no other body line like it on the car.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
the vfn hoods do have the important lines to match the front header panel, the lines that come off where the lights end. But that center rib some people don't like some people do. The 4" vfn cowl hood is great for a dragster but it doesn't look right on a stock car or a street car, just my opinion. Their 2" cowl hoods are nice, if you don't care about the chrome trim.

I recommend anyone getting vfn stuff to get the cheapest one, lift off pieces. The mounting positions for the bolt on ones will require some work, and (if done properly) making brackets to hold the fiberglass in tact when bolting on the hood/trunk. Fitment is going to be harder with a bolt on piece as the angle of the lift/bracket needs to match as well as the outer lines (and these pieces aren't perfect). The extra weight and bracing, to me, doesn't justify the cost difference, hood pins and done. Their bolt-on hood would be easier to take out some spring tension in the bracket but the trunk is harder to do this.

I ended up putting pins on my trunk anyway, but it was okay in the end as there will be a lot of force pulling up on the trunk deck lid at high speeds, so a featherweight trunk may not be the best idea.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I didn't have any of those problems with my bolt-on hood. In my opinion, lift off hoods are for race cars only. There's a lot more work involved with mounting one of those than just bolting a hood to the stock hinges. And then you get to figure out where to set a nice, freshly painted hood everytime you want to get to the engine. :(

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
they likely sell a lot more hoods and the front spring brackets can be cut so the hood may be a lot nicer.

the VFN bolt on trunk deck lid quality was terrible, I probably had a bad experience with it. There wasn't enough bracing on the bolt holes the whole thing was way off, it was a half inch thick on the outer lip and the trunk would have never lined up with the stock panels, so I ended up getting a fiberglass clip and cutting here and there

darthvaderolds

Apprentice
Dec 28, 2008
Chicagoland
FE3X CLONE said:
stomis said:
FE3X CLONE said:

Yeah, your only option with that is to go with a mold-on or bolt-on cowl scoop like the FE3X scoop or something similar.

And I agree, the Camaro body line on all these cowl scoops just doesn't look "right" on an Olds hood considering there's no other body line like it on the car.

I totally agree i do not like any of these AMH for our g body cars the camaro body line just looks out of place on the gbody, FE3X cowl scoop is the only way to go, like on Joe Viteks 88 pictured here
88_HO_1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor