Vibration and Steering Clunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

CdnCutlass

Greasemonkey
Jan 14, 2010
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Hey guys, looking for help tracking down two issues.

I have a vibration in the car somewhere that starts around 65mph and becomes more noticeable as the speed increases. Does this sound like a driveshaft? I had the driveshaft balanced a few years ago. Vibration is still present if the car is shifted into neutral. I wouldn't describe it as shaky as when a wheel is out of balance. It feels like its coming from underneath or behind me, not in the front end.

Second issue is a clunk I feel in the steering wheel when you hit certain bumps, but not every bump. Also feel the same clunk if the wheel is rocked side to side while driving. Best way I can describe it is if you have ever driven a late model GM vehicle with a worn intermediate shaft that clunks...same feeling.

Any help is appreciated.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I had a similiar vibration in my Monte. Years ago, I installed a set of 1" lowering springs in the car. In retrospect, the vibration probably started after that, although I didn't really take notice of it at that time. At that time, I also had a set of KYB shocks on the car, which tend to provide a stiffer ride. I had a set of Michelin tires on the car for years, and I thought that because I had Michelins, that it couldn't be a tire issue. Several years ago, I finally replaced the tires, because they were starting to crack from age. After the tires were replaced, I noticed that the vibration was greatly reduced. Last year, I replaced the KYBs with a set of Bilsteins, and the car was better as well. Whatever vibration that's left on the car now, is probably because of the lowering of the car, as well as normal wear and tear in the suspension.
As for the clunking in the steering, have you checked the steerting intermediate shaft for wear? its not unusual for the rag joint in the shaft to become worn, which could be causing your clunking condition.
Hope this helps.

CdnCutlass

Greasemonkey
Jan 14, 2010
Halifax, Nova Scotia
clean8485 said:
I had a similiar vibration in my Monte. Years ago, I installed a set of 1" lowering springs in the car. In retrospect, the vibration probably started after that, although I didn't really take notice of it at that time. At that time, I also had a set of KYB shocks on the car, which tend to provide a stiffer ride. I had a set of Michelin tires on the car for years, and I thought that because I had Michelins, that it couldn't be a tire issue. Several years ago, I finally replaced the tires, because they were starting to crack from age. After the tires were replaced, I noticed that the vibration was greatly reduced. Last year, I replaced the KYBs with a set of Bilsteins, and the car was better as well. Whatever vibration that's left on the car now, is probably because of the lowering of the car, as well as normal wear and tear in the suspension.
As for the clunking in the steering, have you checked the steerting intermediate shaft for wear? its not unusual for the rag joint in the shaft to become worn, which could be causing your clunking condition.
Hope this helps.

I wondered if my tires were parts of the problem. Although they have plenty of tread, they have been on the car for years while it sat in storage with the previous owner, and another two years when I was having bodywork done.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Buy the Jeep steering shaft on here and it should go away. The problem could be after the shaft obviously and is more likely a chewed up spring. One time on a different car I thought 1 shock was more worn than another but when it came out I was surprised to see it had bent inwards slightly making the car lean slightly to one side. If your front shocks are over 2 years old consider replacing them. Cheap ones like monroe or Gabriel aren't made to last a long time. Some people think they're going to get 5 years out of a monroe or gabriel strut - not in the city. They're $20 each for a reason... Get Bilsteins if you dont want to replace shocks every few years...

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I agree with GP on the idler arm issue. I would get a friend and jack the car up to check the front end & bearings for play. If you don't know how then have a tech look it over for you. Or befriend someone with the knowledge ( beer is often a good incentive ) to teach you.
Also need to check the shocks, stabiliser bar bushings ect. The tires can be checked for balance and wear by a tire shop for appx $50.00

Because I change my own oil in all 4 vehicles and I get to check the front end for play at each oil change and grease it up every 2nd change. Teaching my son and daughter to do the same. My 18 year old daughter can change the oil and swap the tires and she doesn't even have a license :)

CdnCutlass

Greasemonkey
Jan 14, 2010
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I will check everything for play in the front end. When I had the safety done about 3500km ago the front end was good, with the exception of the idler arm which I replaced. The rear shocks are new as well as the old ones broke when I pulled the rear axle to have new gears, posi and bearings installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor