Vintage Air Surefit GBody kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
I hope so... I just spent several hundred dollars on OE replacement parts. If this kit would have been available a few months ago, I would have bought it.
That’s my point. I bought a complete unit out or an older Monte, down to the controls. Paid like $50-$60 for it. I bought the gaskets and seals for it. But the more I took it apart the more I needed. Once you price everything out. Plus taking my labor. Granted it is a case by case deal. Some are better than others. My car already had the box removed, if it was all left factory maybe it would’ve been worth saving. Also if It was a restoration. My car being what it is with an LS swap and plan to Turbo within the next year. The new box will definitely help clean up and clear space for that big down pipe!

Reactions: 1 users

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Now that I fabricated a setup about 15 years ago, they finally came up with a kit. Factoring in inflation costs and just some of the headaches I had, this setup isn't a bad deal considering that. Fabwork was pretty time consuming.
Most will still need to supply their own choice of compressor mount & pick location , along with dealing with the custom lines.
I did the compac setup, which is a little small on output. Not sure if this version offers recirc & outside air option. I need ac compressor along with heat on cold damp days or windows immediately fog up when turning on.

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
Now that I fabricated a setup about 15 years ago, they finally came up with a kit. Factoring in inflation costs and just some of the headaches I had, this setup isn't a bad deal considering that. Fabwork was pretty time consuming.
Most will still need to supply their own choice of compressor mount & pick location , along with dealing with the custom lines.
I did the compac setup, which is a little small on output. Not sure if this version offers recirc & outside air option. I need ac compressor along with heat on cold damp days or windows immediately fog up when turning on.
The full kit come with lines and compressor. Not sure about the recirc and outside but I’m going to assume it’s only recirc.

xylorex

Master Mechanic
Aug 2, 2018
New Orleans, LA
i have one of the kits in my 87 K10 truck, it has same evaporator box. it is recirc only, which is pretty much all i use anyway. i'll definitely be purchasing one of these kits for my 78 monte carlo, i had planned to buy another 87 truck kit and modify.

i'm glad they included the slide switch controller instead of the knob type.

Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
While you lose much of the glove box, VA includes a modified glove box caddie in the kit. Pretty cool. Procrastination paid off?

I have a Kenwood two-knobber almost exactly like the radio in the instructions.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
hmm
wonder how well this will fit on a sbb...

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
hmm
wonder how well this will fit on a sbb...
The evaporator is in the dash now - VA includes a new firewall plate that looks like it would clear the wider Buick format. Biggest issue is setting up the engine brackets to mount the compressor onto the SBB given the kit’s Chevy driver’s side location.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
The only thing that makes this 82-88 specific Monte is

1. the hoses which dont matter because you can order the kit ala-carte without the hose kit crimped to SBC spec
2. maybe some brackets under hood to mount the condenser or hoses
3. Maybe the layout of the wiring harnesses or dash vents in the car

The control panel that mounts in the dash is not make specific

So I see zero reasons this wont fit all 78-88's assuming you can find a place to mount a Sanden compressor, can crimp hose ends, and drill holes or splice wiring.
1640023362777.png

houston_t

Greasemonkey
Nov 15, 2016
Metro Detroit
Has anyone had a chance to install this kit in a 78-80 Monte ? I have a factory non AC 79 and would love to get a drop in kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor