vortec heads and tuned port injection issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
well we all know that if you wan to upgrade to vortec heads you need a new intake manifold, well what if you want to run them with tuned port injection? edelbrock sells the lower base manifold for like 475 bucks, thats more then i have total invested in my tuned port! i found another option! the weiand steath ram designed to work with tpi setups! check it out. this is cheaper then the lower base and makes it easier for someone to piece a setup together, theres only two brand new pieces rather then having to find a lower intake that fits your heads, finding dent free runners plus a plenum. not to mention if you wanted to throw on some slp runners or similar,this whole intake is close to the price of slp runners! i think i am going to order one soon!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Weiand-7 ... enameZWD1V

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
st-jean baptiste ,quebec,
this intake looks closer to the LT1 type that is already better then the TPI set up ....

vortec heads are the best bang for the buck also you will be satisfied with that combo
Dan

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
i have been researching the hell out of the stealth ram and i have read nothing but very very good stuff about it. combine the very affordable vortec heads with a affordable stealth ram intake and throw on your existing tpi harness, ecu..... on you have a very very nice setup. i was going to by the tpi lower vortec intake but this is cheaper and makes alot more power. im sold!

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
st-jean baptiste ,quebec,
go for it .
definitely a power increase + major visual impact ....

your project is quite similar to mine ;-) i'm happy that i'm not alone in this situation .

only big point to remember :
get those vortec heads upper guides grinded down to clear the high lift cam ... ( they extend too much & cause the valve retainer interference)
Dan

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
i am surprised there are not more people doing fuel injection right now. i love the tuned port but everything i have read has told me it is very restrictive but i was still going to do it, then i got a vortec 350 with 906 heads for free and i decided to use it in my regal instead of my 355 and then i ran into the issue with the lower base not fitting. no to mention i have a cutlass that i just threw my original 355 into and i now have a excuse to fuel inject that one as well, i am not going to let my tpi manifold go to waste! lol. i am doing good though, i did not pay for the vortec motor, i will have money into the rings, bearings and gaskets only and spend all of the rest on teh efi, the motor came out of my fathers 98 stingray boat that just happens to be the fastest small block boat that is in our marina! motor was full of water and we thought that there was a cracked block or head so my father decided to order a replacement so he could get back on the water asap and it turns out the water came in from the exhaust and we could have gotten by with drying out the engine i now have. oh well it was rated at 300 horse before, wait till i am done with it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor