Vortec heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeezySupreme

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
Ok, I wanted vortec heads ok they are kind of high for my pockets so are there any other type of heads that work just as well??

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I got my vortec heads used with rockers for $350 and that's about the going price for them so I don't think you'll find other decent heads any cheaper...you will need an intake to match those heads tho...

maddog20_20

Master Mechanic
Nov 20, 2010
St. Louis MO
I have vortecs on my 383 and love them ... about the best bang for the buck on a street engine! I don't think any other sbc facotry head comes close to them. I have the 062 castings and I got them from pick-n-pull on a half off friday for $55 with tax. Machine work was $200 (that was including cutting the valve guides down and spring perches for bigger springs and higher lift cam).

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
$55 is the deal of the century.. :shock:

I agree with you about the best bang for the buck and add that you even get better fuel economy along with the bang....

maddog20_20

Master Mechanic
Nov 20, 2010
St. Louis MO
Pick-N-Pull has an all parts Half Price sale once a month. I found a truck with the heads on it and couldn't pass up the deal. My compression is a bit more than I wanted it to be with the heads, but it does fine on Premium and its not an everday driver so the added cost for the gas is not a big deal.

cdg1984

G-Body Guru
Oct 18, 2009
Evansville IN
If you cant find any vortec's to get rebuilt, check for some double humps. Not as good as vortecs, but theyre pretty affordable. I just found a set on craigslist with 2.02 in and 1.60 exh completley rebuilt and decked to 57cc for 300 bux. Just keep your eyes peeled.

maddog20_20

Master Mechanic
Nov 20, 2010
St. Louis MO
cdg1984 said:
If you cant find any vortec's to get rebuilt, check for some double humps. Not as good as vortecs, but theyre pretty affordable. I just found a set on craigslist with 2.02 in and 1.60 exh completley rebuilt and decked to 57cc for 300 bux. Just keep your eyes peeled.

Better check the exhaust seats on those - if they haven't been changed I don't think they won't live long on unleaded fuel.

TeezySupreme

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
Alright, thank you all but how do you Id vortec heads?

maddog20_20

Master Mechanic
Nov 20, 2010
St. Louis MO
TeezySupreme said:

96-99 truck engines. The casting numbers end with 906 or 062. So when you open the hood of a 2000 or newer chevy pickup and see "vortec" on the engine cover and see aluminum heads, that is a whole different critter. You will have to get a new intake manifold for vortec heads as there are only 8 intake bolts that hold the intake to the heads.

Here is a link to a knock off performer and they can be had off Flea-Bay for about 130-150 shipped http://www.professional-products.com/manifoldsProductSBchevy.php

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
maddog20_20 said:
TeezySupreme said:

96-99 truck engines. The casting numbers end with 906 or 062. So when you open the hood of a 2000 or newer chevy pickup and see "vortec" on the engine cover and see aluminum heads, that is a whole different critter.

Not 100%. The 1st gen Vortec stayed in production til 2002. 2000+ they can still be found in 3/4 and 1 ton vans and some trucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor