vortec intake is leaking..

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbcCuttY

Apprentice
Nov 25, 2007
hello i have a 85 cutlass supreme with a sbc 350..its a 79 block and i have a vortec top end..i have gm vortec heads made for 86 and prior blocks..and a weiand vortec intake and a 650 edelbrock carb..
this would be the second time i have to change out the gasket for the intake/head.it leaks ..i do torque it down to the specified amount..and retorque after the car has been running for a while..i cant seem to find what im doing wrong..if anyone here could give me some tips on this issue i would appreciate it alot. thanks.

Attachments

• 29118810012_medium.jpg
    29118810012_medium.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 717

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would think that there is a problem between the heads and intake if you have torqued the intake bolts properly. I have a Performer Air Gap and torqued my bolts to 12 lbs and have no issues. I used Felpro intake gaskets. For the front and back your not using the rubber gaskets that some kits provide are you? If so use silicone in those areas and put some on the ends of the intake gaskets where they meet the edge of the engine

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
Are the heads decked?

sbcCuttY

Apprentice
Nov 25, 2007
no nothing has been machined..is that bad? and i am using silicone in the front and rear...i also asked a summit racing tech. and he suggested i put silicone around the coolant ports ...eventhough the instructions say not too..would that be a good idea?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What is it leaking? Oil, antifreeze or vacuum? Put a bead of RTV on both sides of the gaskets around the water ports. Gaskasinch or similar can be used around the intake ports too. The bead of RTV is the way to go on both end rails.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
IMO the only place on an engine that should have silicone is for the front and back of the intake (and throw those rubber gaskets away).

But yes, we need to now where it's leaking from, and what's leaking.

Also, I could be wrong, but aren't there special gaskets for putting an aluminum intake on steel heads. Just a thought. Unless the intake may be warped a bit?

sbcCuttY

Apprentice
Nov 25, 2007
ok it is leaking coolant..its not pouring out violently but seeps out ..no im not using rubber in front or back just blue rtv silicone..heads and intake were bought brand new they shouldnt be warpped unless they came defective..

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Make sure BOTH sides of the gaskets have RTV around the water ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor