Vortec L31 engine HP+ setups

Status
Not open for further replies.

TayCruiser

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 15, 2012
Anybody in here running a Vortec L31 in their Gbody? I would like to see your setups, as far as getting more horse out of the engine. I searched and i know the engine is old, im just woundering if its a good platofrom to stick with since the one i have has already been worked. When i get back home i have to fix the car because i believe the cam has wore out and i want to upgrade for higher HP. I would like to reach over 400hp N/A....but forced induction would be cool too. Im trying to see if anybody on here mess with this truck engine for more power. Since the engine was rebuilt a year ago bottom end should be good.

If you have this engine and achieve higher Hp or are trying too post in here. I would like to read your opinions and setups and what you have learned in the process. Dont get too technical im learning about V8's still, all i have learned is nissan 4 banger engines EFI, never messed with carb before its all new to me. wish i had pictures but i dont right now.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
i'm planning on getting an L31 i'm just not sure when. i'm not sure how many they made but it's a lot and i'm sure you can get one for a song at the local yard.

i think it's a good platform to use if you dont want to go through the hassle of installing an LT or LS engine. the L31 drops right in, LS engines not so much. and i would keep the EFI instead of putting a carb on it. the carb is easy but part of the appeal to me is the EFI. the lift on the factory cam isnt that much but any higher and you'll need to rework the heads to have higher lift which isnt a huge deal, have the valve spring seats cut to accept a larger spring and that solves most of the problem right there.

for ideas concerning the engine you can look into roller cams made by various companies and look up tech articles on sites like carcraft.com for vortec heads and read up on the whys and hows of tweaking the heads for larger lift cams. that's really the only drawback to the heads, they dont allow for high lift. since the block is a gen 1 SBC you can find tons of parts to throw at it. i dont know how far you want to go into the engine to make the power you're wanting but it wouldnt be hard. get pistons to bump up the compression a little bit a slightly larger cam get larger springs put in the heads maybe stroke it to a 383 which will definitely put you in the right direction for power. more cubic inches means more power and hitting 400 hp isnt hard.

summit sells a block of the same years as the L31 and you can use that to build it however you want. it's already set up for a 383, clearanced for the crank and everything, just add your own parts. it even has provisions for a mechanical fuel pump.
here it is, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-150100/ looks like it's out of stock at the moment. for the price having a stroker ready engine block is quite the bargain IMO. still costs less than a new block from GM.

it all depends how big your budget is.

TayCruiser

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 15, 2012
Thanks for the post, quick question

I didnt work on my sbc, it was bored over 40 where does that put my cr at 10:1?? Sbc l31 are normally 9:5 right? Theres no way to tell unless i open the engine? i got to take the heads off anyway when i come

lsx80monte

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2012
Correct me if im wrong but doesnt compression ratio haveto do more with the heads than the the cylinder bore? Anyways, I say leave that L31 alone and just go 3rd gen vortec now. I personally didnt have many issues installing my first one. Can you postsome pics of your car on here or the 78-80 monte thread. I would love to see some.

Blew86442

Greasemonkey
Mar 8, 2012
lsx80monte said:
Correct me if im wrong but doesnt compression ratio haveto do more with the heads than the the cylinder bore? Anyways, I say leave that L31 alone and just go 3rd gen vortec now. I personally didnt have many issues installing my first one. Can you postsome pics of your car on here or the 78-80 monte thread. I would love to see some.

Cylinder bore is def a factor. It creates different volumes in the combustion chamber affecting over all compression ratio.

lsx80monte

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2012
Yeah im sure it does but, figured that the heads play a more prominent role in comp ratio. I guess its justeasier to change comp ratio w/heads than by changing bore of the block.

othtim

Master Mechanic
Mar 23, 2010
I have a bit of experience with vortec engines. I'm on my second vortec engine build for my car. What is your budget? These heads will make 400 HP pretty easy w/ the right cam and intake and they will do it super cheaply too!

They are great heads! They do require some machine work to do get higher lift. There is not much you can do for cam swaps without pulling the heads and modifying them for more lift. The factory L31 was rated at 255 hp IIRC, but the 330 HP Gm crate engine is basically the same engine, without exhaust and such. Taking off the stock intake manifold and exhaust and cats and replaceing the exhaust with decent headers and some free-flowing mufflers will make a huge HP diff and fuel economy diff.

Really in my opinion the best thing to do is pull the head and machine it for more lift. Then you open up your cam choices. I bought the Comp Cam cutters to cut down my valve spring bosses (pn 4721) and used an 11/32 arbor. Turned out nice, now I have clearance for my Comp xe268h. On my last engine I didn't cut the heads at all and I only put a 255DEH comp cam in it, because I wanted to make sure I'd have plenty of clearance (didnt measure). If youre sticking with a roller cam block (mine was truck block without roller cam provisions), then thats sweet. All my experience is with flat-tappets tho. I'm sure you could hit your power goal even easier with a roller.

My last build was bone-stock vortec non-roller 350 engine, with a performer manifold, quadrajet, and a 255DEH w/ headers and exhaust. Even with this really mild cam I was able to pull a 14.0 with a 2.2 60ft at 100mph in a 3200 lb car, shifting at 5300 RPM. estimated CR was about 9:1. Got excellent fuel economy (for a carb v8) and idle completely smooth, excellent city driver. Not 400hp though.

From what I've read on the internet, a reliable 400-hp ish build is something along the lines of a Lunati 60103 or xe268h and a Performer RPM intake. More lift is better, up to about .550 inch. I'm mimicing this build right now, with a xe268h. There are tons of articles on line about simple vortec head mods that work. More exhaust duration on the cam is good (ie no single-pattern cams). I've read a few results online where 1.6 ratio rockers on the intake picked up a few HP. Performer RPM intake always seems to outperform the Performer, but if youre using a quadrajet then the Performer RPM doesn't come with the right flange, youll have to use an adapter. A spacer on top of a Performer manifold will recoup some of the difference in power between a Performer and RPM, and youll still have the proper mounting flange for a q-jet. I just did a minor bowl- blend on my vortecs and cut down the guides, that's it. My last motor seemed quite happy and smooth to rev to 5500 RPM, it just didn't make any power up there.

Are you planning on putting this in a g-body? If so, you'll have to do an electric fuel pump conversion, most L31s dont have provision for a mechanical pump. I grabbed an '95 TBI short block (similar to the L31s) so that I could still use a mechanical fuel pump. Most of the TBI engines still had the pushrod hole drilled for a mechanical fuel pump. I dont think the stock L31 cam even has a fuel pump lobe on it. Someone else will have to say.

TayCruiser

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 15, 2012
Yeah its already in the car, sorry i dont have no pictures im on a deployment. Im trying to figure out what i want to do, it was an ongoing project. I dont understand the electric pump thing your talking about? Can you explain more? I dont even know if it had head work. I had rocker arm issues before i left the back left side of the engine the rocker arm barley moves and feel lose and you cant tighten any farther without messing something up worse, my friend suggested when they rebuilt the engine they forgot to do something with the studs (i dont remember, maybe seat them correctly) or my cam is wearing out in the back. It mess either way, electrical is going to be a problem too lol its a mess lol when i get im going to start my build thread.

8k is my budget right now. That includes body work too, paint and small dents. I would like to keep the engine because it was already rebuilt just have head trouble its clean very sloppy wiring job its a nigtmare i clean it up a bit before i left, lights stop working wiring is all to hell etc. Ls1 is a secondary option but i dont want to spend money on fitting the engine in the monte when it can go to something else. Very clean car no rust underneath, door hindges need replacing or redrilled with the kit i saw.

I want to but 3.7 gears in it too, but i dont know if it fits the original rear i looked and i saw ppl swaping the whole rear
out? Does it not fit in the original rear. I want all disk brakes, it hasmdrums in the back i hate drums lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor