Votes: 31 72.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Thanks for your thoughts. I am thinking like you too. If I don’t “modify” it to the point of no return, I could always put her back to original. I was actually thinking of putting the old 229V6 on an engine stand, strip, paint and detailing it, making it look brand new again for such an event.
As for the need for speed...all I’d like is the torque to roll around a corner in second gear and not getting passed by a lawn tractor. Or passing a car doing 45mph without needing a 1/4 mile running start.
The three speed gear ratios are spread apart lots (1st is 3.50:1, 2nd is 1.89:1, 3rd 1:1) so gearing down to second at highway speeds, the little v6 is outta breath.
And the “Looky what I have” isn’t my goal here either. I just want to drive this old 4 door everywhere and have a blast doin it!
Thanks again

Kinda in the same position with my 1980 Shay - It has a 2.3 in it and I have a 2.3 turbo just sitting there.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
OK, I'm from the states and I have never even heard of this. As a general rule, I hate 4 doors, and Chevy products are boring because they are so common and I prefer to take the path less traveled, which is usually equivalent to saying I have a hard head and too much money. Well a hard head anyway. Now, I do LOVE oddball stuff. Chevette's/T1000's, Astre/Vegas/Sunbird/Monza, anything with a manual trans, convertibles wagons and cars with hidden headlights. So I have to say I absolutely LOVE that car. I vote(d) to be 16 again but build it like you were 16. In Detroit where I grew up in 89 (I was 17) it was 5.0 Mustangs vs. Iroc's vs GN's. Stroker SBC's were the hot thing. I don't know anyone at that age who could have successfully transplanted a TBI and 5 spd from a F car even if we had the money at the time and frankly we didn't. What all this means is If I were to build that car (and as has been noted its your car do what is right for you) I would stroke a SBC to the absolute limit which I remember as being about 427 CI swap to a 4 spd keep the 3 spd shift knob put a 3.73 in the back and I would smile for miles.

On a side note, an Iraqi Taxi is now on my list to add to the garage. I am officially envious.

EDIT: you could get another keep it stock for a driver and build the other.

Reactions: 2 users

Clarmo

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2016
Ottawa, Canada
OK, I'm from the states and I have never even heard of this. As a general rule, I hate 4 doors, and Chevy products are boring because they are so common and I prefer to take the path less traveled, which is usually equivalent to saying I have a hard head and too much money. Well a hard head anyway. Now, I do LOVE oddball stuff. Chevette's/T1000's, Astre/Vegas/Sunbird/Monza, anything with a manual trans, convertibles wagons and cars with hidden headlights. So I have to say I absolutely LOVE that car. I vote(d) to be 16 again but build it like you were 16. In Detroit where I grew up in 89 (I was 17) it was 5.0 Mustangs vs. Iroc's vs GN's. Stroker SBC's were the hot thing. I don't know anyone at that age who could have successfully transplanted a TBI and 5 spd from a F car even if we had the money at the time and frankly we didn't. What all this means is If I were to build that car (and as has been noted its your car do what is right for you) I would stroke a SBC to the absolute limit which I remember as being about 427 CI swap to a 4 spd keep the 3 spd shift knob put a 3.73 in the back and I would smile for miles.

On a side note, an Iraqi Taxi is now on my list to add to the garage. I am officially envious.

EDIT: you could get another keep it stock for a driver and build the other.
If I was to build it like I was 16, I'd only have $250 to spend on it!!!
I like your idea of the 427 though. But like I said I don't need another race car and I don't want to modify it to the point of no return. As far as the EFI goes, the Holley Sniper is basically an electronic carb. No invasive installation. I have installed them on some customers rides and they are awesome to say the least!
I can buy another Iraqi Taxi already done up with a 355 and a 4spd for 12,500.00 but I don't think i need two...Or do I??? LOL

Last edited:

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
My boring and sensible suggestion - swap a L69 in(the Monte Carlo SS 305) they're cheap, sound like fun and nobody wants them. Open the hood and everything looks period correct.

Reactions: 1 user

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Can I revote? :popcorn:

Actually I voted the way I did [keep it stock] based on the idea of going 350 with the 3 speed. If you are wanting just a really nice cruiser car, a fuel injected 6 would be the way to go. Someone suggested the 4.3 which would be good but there are others to consider. I'd still want more gears though. The 350 will not get you to serious sleeper contention with the rest of the car as is and it sounds like you are not changing that? And for your trouble, your cruiser mpgs just go in the toilet. I'm wanting a cruiser to have enough power to efficiently operate the vehicle. Efficiently meaning enough power when you need to get on the interstate and pass while maximizing fuel efficiency.
And, I just realized I am now even less fun than my first post was . . . :doh:

Clarmo

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2016
Ottawa, Canada
My boring and sensible suggestion - swap a L69 in(the Monte Carlo SS 305) they're cheap, sound like fun and nobody wants them. Open the hood and everything looks period correct.
Funny you mention that...my buddy just bought a really nice 1986 Monte SS. I drove it and said to myself "If the Taxi had this power, I wouldn't bother changing it"

Clarmo

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2016
Ottawa, Canada
Can I revote? :popcorn:

Actually I voted the way I did [keep it stock] based on the idea of going 350 with the 3 speed. If you are wanting just a really nice cruiser car, a fuel injected 6 would be the way to go. Someone suggested the 4.3 which would be good but there are others to consider. I'd still want more gears though. The 350 will not get you to serious sleeper contention with the rest of the car as is and it sounds like you are not changing that? And for your trouble, your cruiser mpgs just go in the toilet. I'm wanting a cruiser to have enough power to efficiently operate the vehicle. Efficiently meaning enough power when you need to get on the interstate and pass while maximizing fuel efficiency.
And, I just realized I am now even less fun than my first post was . . . :doh:
Sure you can revote!
The 4.3 would be the same cost and work with less benefits. And no V6 runs as smooth as a V8.
I'm not aiming for a "sleeper". Although I'm sure it will hold it's own (on the highway, not the Dragstrip) for what it will be.
As for the concern of MPG. I've tuned my buddies 500hp big block Chevelle with an 850 DP on it to get 18mpg (it does have a 5speed) The Holley Sniper is plug and play Fuel Economy. The ones I've installed on customer rides report getting great mpg.

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
Sure you can revote!
The 4.3 would be the same cost and work with less benefits. And no V6 runs as smooth as a V8.
I'm not aiming for a "sleeper". Although I'm sure it will hold it's own (on the highway, not the Dragstrip) for what it will be.
As for the concern of MPG. I've tuned my buddies 500hp big block Chevelle with an 850 DP on it to get 18mpg (it does have a 5speed) The Holley Sniper is plug and play Fuel Economy. The ones I've installed on customer rides report getting great mpg.
Now you're talking!:cool:

csstrux

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2017
Your car man... Buid it the way you want it! It wasn't my first, but was early in a long line, was a hand me down 79 cutlass cruiser with a 350/metric combo from my father. When he had it it still had a TH350 with a kit. Either way it was a daily that gave good mileage, and for the time, outstanding performance. The IROCS, and 5.0's in factory trim had a bear of a time with it, the ones who won anyway. The old gal wasn't up to that standard when I got it, but... When I finally find another like it, it will be a near copy of what that one was in it's prime. I say go for 16 again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor