Wagon Gauge Pod

Status
Not open for further replies.

nawlins-tim

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2009
New Orleans, LA USA
I wish someone would come out with some gbody wagon specific gauge pods, but in the meantime I'm thinking about using one of those ADD-ON deals that all the gbody guys were using back in the day. I think i've asked around before but I'm looking to find out how those ADD-ON pods fit the wagon a pillars? Without a whole buch of modification what do you think will be the result? I'm going for functionality, not for a show car look .
So do you wagon guys think it will be money well spent ? Please help!!!

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I ended up making my own, using a good stock A pillar trim, and a coupe 3 gauge pillar.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
The coupe and sedan/wagon pillars are different, so the aftermarket 3 gauge pillar doesn't work. And if it did, they don't wrap around the pinch weld and look like crap IMO. So, I took the gauge part and grafted it to the wagon pillar. I have to find some picks to upload so you can see the finished product.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Reactions: 1 user

nawlins-tim

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2009
New Orleans, LA USA
Yeah I saw those pics a while back. And I was aware of the 2 vs 4 door a-pillar differences too. I wish there were more guys out there doing the mods you did. Seems like it was a little bit of work to get Right. But still I'm wondering why you morphed those two panels together instead of using an add on type. do you follow my train of thought? I just want the best outcome. I DO remember other people saying the afttermarket pods don't conform to the post well . But I wonder how the add-on piece fit a wagon a pillar?

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Yeah I saw those pics a while back. And I was aware of the 2 vs 4 door a-pillar differences too. I wish there were more guys out there doing the mods you did. Seems like it was a little bit of work to get Right. But still I'm wondering why you morphed those two panels together instead of using an add on type. do you follow my train of thought? I just want the best outcome. I DO remember other people saying the afttermarket pods don't conform to the post well . But I wonder how the add-on piece fit a wagon a pillar?
Ahh, for some reason I am just slow these past few days. haha

I follow you now. To be honest, the Buick came with a 2 gauge add on pod, and it was 1/4" wider than the pillar trim. I could have maybe heated it up and made it conform, then trimmed the rest, but I really didn't like the look of the add on pod. It would have worked in a pinch, but not my thing.

So, I ordered a 3 pillar replacement from somewhere, don't remember really, not realizing at the time that the 2 door and 4 door/wagon were that much different. I thought I could make it work. Soooooo, I ended up doing what I did, I had to "do" it 3 times till I was happy with it. I don't have recent pictures of it after the 3rd time.

I would love to make a negative mold and do it in fiberglass. I don't and haven't had the time though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor