Wagon rear spoiler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nawlins-tim

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2009
New Orleans, LA USA
I was kicking around some ideas with friends , what is the reason for the gbody wagon Rear air deflector. Its sure not to aide with handling at high speeds. Actually I think the spoiler could LIFT the car at high speeds. But what are your thoughts? Is it pure aesthetics? And did GM offer rear defrost and the rear spoiler together on the wagon? A yankee body and fender friend of mine says the spoiler is there to help with rain water removal when at speed. Who knows......Do you?

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Theory is to help deflect rain, dust, & dirt from the back window. Did it? Maybe. To help with handling, possible in some small unnoticable way. Does it look like it serves a purpose, kinda.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Listen to us Yankees. LOL
If you look around at other vehicles that have deflectors you'll see that the majority of them have almost vertical back glass. Probably most of them are SUVs like older Blazers and Broncos. Theyre there to keep the dust off the glass. Having them on a few vehicles over the years I can tell you for sure that it doesnt work that well..

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Never did any good on my 80 full size Jimmy. I left it off when I redid the truck.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I’m sure it’s like 99% of spoilers on street cars/trucks/mini-vans, or whatever, they are just for looks. Any benefit is inconsequential.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
My wagons have the air deflector except my 80 Century, I kinda like it without it to be truthful. Originally they were installed as Pagrunt said, to deflect dust and rain, essentially to keep your rear glass clean.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I use one too. Doesn't really work all that good. An electric grid in the glass is what you want in winter. There is a HUGE cold spot back there that won't let the ice/snow melt without a heater grid.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I removed the one from my car for a simpler/ different look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor