Want some opinions on fixing doors and Windows; pictures inside

IamMalibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 24, 2021
Man it did and s didn't; first of all it's really hard to install "100%". Meaning you need to keep it tightly wouldn't and hold it with c-clamps. I got it about 90% as wound as I should have. So mine would hold it but not all the way up.

Then mine apparently came loose a few weekends ago where I installed it because it's rolls itself down bad now. And there is not a single video of how to install it or instructions :(

But yes, that spring fixes it.
Which spring did you go with? Chevy or corvette? By any chance do you still have the link to purchase one

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
The only safe way to deal with that spring is to extract the regulator assembly and do the install job on a bench. When correctly installed that spring, because of what it does, contains a signficantly large amount of energy. if it coiled up and pops free, it can bounce all over the place inside that door shell, and you don't want to be around one if it does goes flying as it will sail from one side of the shop to the other and get very lost in the process. The 8767........... version of the spring in those pictures might be closest to what you need.

To ge the regulator out you will need to dismount the window and then drill out the 4 Cherry Q split rivets that hold the mounting plate to the inner door skin. The two arms will have to be sild off their tracks and you may have to move or remove a few other bits. To rehang that mount, well. 4 1/4 inch x 38ths bolts work as well as anything. For the passenger's unit on my Monte, while I had the regulator out, I tacked the nuts into place to save the hassle of trying to fish them and deal with the bolts at the same time, but that is me being me.

With the regulator on the bench you can use a large pair of vice grips to clamp that toothed arm to the base. That part is IMPORTANT!! if you don't secure that arm it can act like the blade of a pair of scissors and snap closed.once the spring is wound and slipped into place. Should you have a finger or hand in there when it does, you will get hurt (Ask Me how I know that for a fact)

During all of this, to fix the lack of video or on line manual instructions, you can always turn author and do it yourself and post the results!

For the factory how to, you'd need the factory service manual for the body/cabin. Back then it was all one book and you can get them from Faxon Literature out in Californis.

Nick

IamMalibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 24, 2021
The only safe way to deal with that spring is to extract the regulator assembly and do the install job on a bench. When correctly installed that spring, because of what it does, contains a signficantly large amount of energy. if it coiled up and pops free, it can bounce all over the place inside that door shell, and you don't want to be around one if it does goes flying as it will sail from one side of the shop to the other and get very lost in the process. The 8767........... version of the spring in those pictures might be closest to what you need.

To ge the regulator out you will need to dismount the window and then drill out the 4 Cherry Q split rivets that hold the mounting plate to the inner door skin. The two arms will have to be sild off their tracks and you may have to move or remove a few other bits. To rehang that mount, well. 4 1/4 inch x 38ths bolts work as well as anything. For the passenger's unit on my Monte, while I had the regulator out, I tacked the nuts into place to save the hassle of trying to fish them and deal with the bolts at the same time, but that is me being me.

With the regulator on the bench you can use a large pair of vice grips to clamp that toothed arm to the base. That part is IMPORTANT!! if you don't secure that arm it can act like the blade of a pair of scissors and snap closed.once the spring is wound and slipped into place. Should you have a finger or hand in there when it does, you will get hurt (Ask Me how I know that for a fact)

During all of this, to fix the lack of video or on line manual instructions, you can always turn author and do it yourself and post the results!

For the factory how to, you'd need the factory service manual for the body/cabin. Back then it was all one book and you can get them from Faxon Literature out in Californis.

Nick
Do you now a vendor that sells the spring?

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
Which spring did you go with? Chevy or corvette? By any chance do you still have the link to purchase one

This is a huge pain; but I didn't take my door off. I used a giant C clamp. The Nick guy in this thread is extremely helpful (or was for me) but like I said; no video. This should be in a repair manual somewhere and it isn't.

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022

Nick
Nick,
I can't find that book for an 86 monte.
You're instructions are great.

If i take my door off, it's going to destroy a new paint job most likely, and getting a door off and on is no laughing matter. I took my panel off and was able to do it but I'm not saying your way isn't the right way.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Nick,
I can't find that book for an 86 monte.
You're instructions are great.

If i take my door off, it's going to destroy a new paint job most likely, and getting a door off and on is no laughing matter. I took my panel off and was able to do it but I'm not saying your way isn't the right way.
You don't need to take the whole door off the car! The regulator can be extracted with the door still hung and aligned. All that needs to happen is that the door card, both upper and lower, has to be removed, along with the insulation pad and moisture barrier to get to the inner shell/skin. After that, it is pretty much as has been already described by various members here on the board. The biggest hassle is extracting the window pane once you split it away from its mounting points on the regulator and tracks. it can be a nuisance to slide out and takes some patience and the removal of a couple of bumper brackets to get out. Make sure the battery is disconnected if you are dealing with a motor drive regulator to avoid having the drive "actuate" and a normal drill will do in the rivet heads. Once they are gone, the rivet bodies get popped out with a punch. Just take it easy and take lots of pictures as a visual guide for you when you go to put it all back together. As for the Monte Manual. if they are anything like my 85 text, it is all in one book. The factory started issuing multiple volumes when the cars started getting heavily computer operated, The electical system for my S-10, for example, is a book unto itself. Chassis is another volume and there is third for everything else. As one possible source for that 86 text, Faxon Auto Literature, 1-800-458-2734, or www,faxonautolit.com. They are out in California and specialize in automotive resource materials. I have personally used them on several occasions and they delivered exactly what I was looking for in terms of OEM Factory manuals. Be aware they are not cheap, but they do offer reference materials that are way higher and more comprehensive in depth and information than a big box auto store generic text.

Nick

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
I was under the assumption that Inside spring in an electric window regulator was in what I call the clutch. What im saying is this the spring in some drive gear sections of the regulator motor is there to slow the impact of the window seating ( closing all the way) to take the shock (jerk),out of an electric motor driven gear being stoped wah lah a detent spring was born a different animal this maynot be applicable in this subject but worth hooting about if youl forgive me

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor