Water leaking passenger rug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It's kind of a process of elimination. First, I would check the drain at the bottom of the heater/ airbox by unscrewing the screen, and using a garden hose and maybe a coat hanger, welding rod, etc. Next check for leaks around the airbox itself.
Also check around the windshield for rust holes, under the stainless lower windshield trim, and also body seams.
You could use a garden hose on a good day with the help of an assistant. Have them shoot the hose on different areas while you observe in the car with a flashlight.
Just a few things I can suggest. Good luck!

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
May be the sheetmetal seams on the firewall that are leaking. On both A pillars, hidden by the fenders are two poorly sealed holes. GM just filled them with this foam type sealant that was falling apart on my car. Cleaned the holes out and resealed with 2 part epoxy seam sealer. Also there is a big gap in the sheet metal near the bottom corners of the windshield that are filled with seam sealer that can go bad causing bad leaks. Either way you will need to remove both fenders to fix. Bad body bushings can cause the body to flex more which can crack or pop out seam sealant, also just the age of these cars too. You will also need to remove your carpet, remove the water logged underpadding, and clean up any rust. This is going to be a big job. Don't use the cheap seam sealer, get the good 2K epoxy sealer which you will probably have to order online. Most local auto stores just carry junk for body repair.

BTW, your rear wheel well seams sealant probably needs to be inspected too.

Omnivium

Apprentice
Jan 9, 2013
Long Island, NY
vonclod said:
my 86 regals heatercore was leaving a small amount of water on the passenger floormat..seemed to come down on a specific spot..does your car fog up with the heater or def on?

Had the heater on today and it didnt fog up

Omnivium

Apprentice
Jan 9, 2013
Long Island, NY
lilbowtie said:
Water or Anti Freeze - My guess is heater core.

Almost positive its water, didnt have much time check it out, been busy working, will check it out after school tomorrow

Omnivium

Apprentice
Jan 9, 2013
Long Island, NY
On my phone right now, cant really respond to all of you, thanks for all the replys!

Also the car has been sitting for around 7 weeks, warmed it up weekly, but I just noticed this yesterday. Car was parked on a slight slant and it has snowed/rained a lot in those 7 weeks so I dont really think its from the window, gonna try what you guys suggested, thanks again!

Highwood Malibu

Greasemonkey
Jul 14, 2011
Calgary Alberta Canada
Clone TIE Pilot said:
May be the sheetmetal seams on the firewall that are leaking. On both A pillars, hidden by the fenders are two poorly sealed holes. GM just filled them with this foam type sealant that was falling apart on my car. Cleaned the holes out and resealed with 2 part epoxy seam sealer. Also there is a big gap in the sheet metal near the bottom corners of the windshield that are filled with seam sealer that can go bad causing bad leaks. Either way you will need to remove both fenders to fix. Bad body bushings can cause the body to flex more which can crack or pop out seam sealant, also just the age of these cars too. You will also need to remove your carpet, remove the water logged underpadding, and clean up any rust. This is going to be a big job. Don't use the cheap seam sealer, get the good 2K epoxy sealer which you will probably have to order online. Most local auto stores just carry junk for body repair.

BTW, your rear wheel well seams sealant probably needs to be inspected too.
X2
I had this very problem with my Malibu, and I also had a leaky seal on the heater box. Once I seam sealed the gaps then the car never leaked again.

silverfox

Master Mechanic
Sep 11, 2012
Had same issue with my old 86 442. Took a ton of trying this and that to find out it was a simple fix for me.
The ECM wire harness that runs through the firewall on pass side the black covering over the harness mine the seem (split) was facing up and this was catching water and then it was running into the car and leaking on the floor. Once i filped the seem (split) in the cover over the wire harness the leak stopped. It is was hard for me to reach but got it done.
Take a look at that it could be your issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor