Water Neck Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have a stock one from before the time they had thermal switches in the water neck. I used a gasket alone and I have no leaks...what was wrong with the one you replaced with the Mr. 创作团队 不满意 water neck

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I don't even like the aluminum ones as they crack too easily. Cast iron for me, thank you. :wink:

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Did you try your new water neck with the new o-ring first to see if it leaks and did the one you took off leak?
I don't have the same style water but the whole reason I bought my Mr. Gasket with an o-ring is so I don't have to deal with sealant or gaskets and so the installation is clean, I have had mine on and off dozens of times trying different thermostats and now since I'm using restrictors I tried different sizes of those.
I also have a 1" aluminum spacer to feed my rear cooling lines and under that I also use the Fel-Pro plastic/rubber gasket which also works perfectly under my spacer.
I don't know what intake you are using but most intakes the thermostat holes are blind so you would not need sealant but there could be a casting flaw or another issue if it is leaking from the threads.
My water neck is at least 12 years old and it is pretty thick but maybe now the new ones are a cheaper thinner version.

Attachments

• IMG_0326.JPG
    IMG_0326.JPG
    198.5 KB · Views: 770

KILLSHOTB

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 24, 2008
Saginaw, Michigan
I fixed the leak. I used the oring with RTV. I put a thin coat on the intake and the water neck. Let it set up and finger tightened it. Let it sit another day and then torqued it down. I'm driving it. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor