Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Ahoy, the LS Mafia;

Been accumulating some more bits and pieces for my LS Orphan project and came home with some brackets and a water pump from a 2006 LS?. A fast test fit revealed that the lower bracket and associated idler assembly for the pass side of the engine fit okay. However, when I tried to mount the water pump into place it crashed badly into the throttle body. This particular body is a cable driven unit and matches the intake manifold. What the tube hits is the bobbin for the accelerator cable and the pivot pin for the cruise control cable.

Is there a spacer available that can be located between the throttle body and the intake flange to space out the t-body about a 1/2 inch? Failing that, can the stock water pump tube be "persuaded to come out so that the bung can be tapped and a 45 pipe ell plugged in instead. Or, third option, Is there a bend to redirect the throttle body off towards the driver's side? With one of them I could then abandon the stock mounting tabs for the cables and go with an accessory version of them that could be mounted off the tube bolts.

Thoughts and suggestions??

Nick

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
What intake, and what waterpump? Car intake truck pump I'm guessing? The pressed in water pump outlet can be turned supposedly, I've never tried it though.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
LS Fbody stuff in my SS, some people were spacing that water pump to work with truck setup.

FBODY ACCESSORIES.jpg

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
GM got a little blurry with their nomenclature at the start so some motors got called Vortecs even though they sure look like LS's. Mine decodes as an LS2 motor, LS6 Intake. Motor came from an 02 Avalanche. 5.3. Newer Pump is from an 06. This pump physically matches the pump that came with the motor as delivered. I need about a 1/4 inch of room to allow the throttle lever to come and go. A flat spacer would be simplest; next simplest would be one with some angle built into it to move the throttle body over a bit, after that it would be me with a machinists hammer, turning that curve into a flat face. Costliest would be a car pump from a Camaro or ? That would have to be brand new as they NEVER show up in local yards'; the insurance companies get them shipped down east for auction right quick now. My yard guy is smart but even he isn't into the quirks and idiosyncracies of the various LS versions. Might be able to score on E-Bay but the budget for that has moths chewing on the purse right now.

Sorry, no pictures of all this as yet, too much dust in the air from the welding and grinding getting done on the passenger's door for my Monte. Besides, I don't have three hands and would need to have at least that few to both hold the pump in place and take the shots.

And the picture above tells all. The throttle body is totally in the clear because the water pump inlet comes out straight instead of pointing up. Can't see spacing the pump as that throws the belt out of alignment unless everything else gets a spacer as well. You wouldn't happen to have a few more shots like that would you?? Great visual reference material, nice and clean and crisp.

Nick

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Mine decodes as an LS2 motor, LS6 Intake. Motor came from an 02 Avalanche. 5.3. Newer Pump is from an 06.
LS2 is an aluminum 6.0l, not a 5.3l in an Avalanche.

Sounds like you have all truck accesories. Guys have taken that pump I have and spaced it out because of how big the pulley is. What are you wanting to see all I have to do is pop the hood.

When I say pics, just pics of what you have works, not stuff in place. Done a few dozen LS swaps I know exactly what you are looking at. Just need to know what you have.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You have a parts mismatch of some type. Built6spdMCSS is a better source than my hackery recommendations. Looking at your pic definitely makes the truck accessory and ugly intake look easier.

Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
You have a parts mismatch of some type. Built6spdMCSS is a better source than my hackery recommendations. Looking at your pic definitely makes the truck accessory and ugly intake look easier.
I'm thinking he has all truck stuff and even then what's out there now, factory stuff works.

This is the fix.

Screenshot_20220908-061138_Chrome.jpg

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
So the water pump pulley is smaller, implying that the water pump will be slowed down or not turning at the correct rpm if he doesn't have the matching crank pulley?

I referenced a hackery fix with no detail. The issue with any hackery fix is that same hackery will have to be completed if and when the water pump needs to be replaced - hence, I didn't offer up the cut, trim, weld repair.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
So the water pump pulley is smaller, implying that the water pump will be slowed down or not turning at the correct rpm if he doesn't have the matching crank pulley?
Pulley is still the same. It's the angle and location of this outlet tube. Doesn't hit the throttle body if using a car intake with the truck accessories.

Smaller pulley would be spinning faster.. ;)

Another reason why I want to see exactly what he has.

20220908_064950.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor