Ways to pep up a 3.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChevyIIMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 30, 2005
Ways to pep up a 3.8L

What can I do to my new 90,000 84' 3.8L to help it out and give it some pep back? Aside from a full tune up I considered replacing the old cat with a test pipe but anything else? Its not bad but not new thats for sure.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
i've added a hotter coil (accel super coil) a better muffler (i didnt even go with a cat back exhaust and i noticed a difference) you can go with a factory four barrel intake and carb or an aftermarket unit. you can use headers but the better ones are from hooker IMO but...they arent cheap so unless you're changing the cam and doing other stuff maybe the headers arent the right way to go. i also put in a lower temp thermostat, my 3.8 seems to enjoy cooler temps and will let me know when its too hot like during the summer. a high flowing cat wouldnt hurt either and i did that as well. the air filter is a given, paper ones dont work that well.

i have attempted to pep it up while being emissions legal (my county has since stopped emissions testing but one never knows when it will start up again).

later on (after i get antique tags put on it) i plan on going with a fresh 3.8 and stabbing in a better cam four bbl intake and carb (possibly aftermarket fuel injection like the holley command 950 TBI which is very flexible to use) possibly some headers (if i can get some ceramic coated) and maybe just one big exhaust pipe,up to 2 1/2 from the 2 inch, i really dont see a need to run dual exhaust on a 3.8 unless i'm going all out for racing or something and even then, its turn downs not dual exhaust.

thought about going with a turbo but i really dont want to, i want it fun but simple and a turbo would be just more parts waiting to break and screw up ruining the fun factor.

i have a factory 4 barrel intake from a 4.1 thats in a 82 GP LJ that is currently rotting in my driveway, i might use it but it needs a qjet and if i use that i have to may through the nose for an emissions legal one or wait for antique tags so i can run a regular qjet but then i have to ditch the computer crap and run a vacuum distributor instead. or i can use the holley command 950 TBI system which would let me us the computer controlled distrubutor saving me a little dough in the process.

at the least i want to later on use a better cam and a 4 barrel intake regardless of the fuel system i use. i have yet to find pistons tthat arent for a turbo...booo not all 3.8 owners have turbos!

my 3.8 has around 160,000 miles and runs nicely, the carb is giving me fits on cold starts though, i hate dualjets!

Gbodyolds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 2, 2006
holley makes a 4bbl intake, theres headers and cams aval for it, the hooker (hok16810) cat back exhaust works out sweet on those cars and includes a test pipe (requires minor welding to install) you could do better gears. if you really wanted to keep the 6 i wouldnt mess with it id just find a GN drive train and drop it in.

ChevyIIMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 30, 2005
Yeah id like to stay with a 6, although im not looking to do major mods like an intake or headers. I can make a test pipe and welding is not an issue. The car passed emissions 4 months ago. so once I retest it ill remove the cat or replace it with a high flow unit. I would eventually like to drop in a ttpye or GN drivetrain but not for a while, for now this is my Daily Driver.

beachbum29

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2006
Upstate
hmmmmmmmm not sure how to pep it up, but I sure do know how to kill one!...

just a heads up...... there's a gn 3.8 complete motor for sale on

www.montecarloss.com parts for sale section.........

May 25, 2012
I'm looking for help on a transplanted Buick 3.8, ex turbo and FI, now carbureted. Trying to install a mechanical oil pressure gauge with poly tube and cannot find the location of the oil pressure sending unit. Leaving the original sending unit would work, keep the idiot light, and install a T for the gauge. If there is another location on the pressure side of the lube oil system I would be willing to plug in there. thanks

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2013
Québec City, Québec CANADA
afm79malibu said:
Trying to install a mechanical oil pressure gauge with poly tube and cannot find the location of the oil pressure sending unit. (...) If there is another location on the pressure side of the lube oil system I would be willing to plug in there. thanks

The stock location of the sending unit is near the oil filter, next to the water pump. Well burried in there.

I'd like to see if there would be any other location on the block where it could be installed, though.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
There isn't really any good way of pepping up a 3.8. They have very poor flowing heads and low 8.5 CR and just don't respond to add ons very much. The best thing to do is just swap in a more powerful motor. Also the 2.41 gear ratio will hold any motor back, even the weak 3.8. Changing the rear gears will improve pep more than anything else.

4bbl carb setups only adds 5 HP, test pipe might add 1 more HP if that. A early GN carb turbo setup would boost the 3.8 up to 160 HP but would be expensive to find all the parts these days.

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ
I'd suggest:

1) True dual exhaust - or at least a bigger/better flowing exhaust. Yes, that puny tailpipe is a restriction even for the lowly 231. Once I had the Y pipe and cat only, and it was noticeably torquier in terms of seat-of-the-pants feel, though it's still not going to impress anyone.

2) 4-bbl and intake from a 4.1L - I'm told this helps, but have no personal experience.

3) I'd say 3.23 rear + 2004R trans.

Now, something I'd always thought would be interesting to do is get a cam as close to the specs as possible to the FWD SEFI 3.8L V6 (vin code 3) - I know it's a roller vs the flat-tappet RWD car's cam, but something close . . and then adapt over the SEFI from one of those cars.... 86-87 for the "big" cars, 86-88 for the Century and Ciera that were equipped with that motor.

Never did it, but always thought it'd be interesting.

Bweavy

Master Mechanic
Feb 27, 2009
Bethel N.C. 27812
160 T-stat
Get some cold air to the air cleaner
4 barrel intake & carb. Port if you use a GM 4.1 set up. Make sure it is an 84 intake if using a 4.1. The 83 & older used the 6291 heads casting not the 8445 heads.
Port the heads. Even a home port is good or better then nothing.
Want a lumpy lump cam? 224/224 comp
Headers & true duals
Shift kit with a 2004R
2500-2800 stall convertor
True dual exhaust
3.73 rear from an SS or even a 3.42
NOS
If you can find a good 4.1 it is a better platform. They put some 4.1's in the 84 Regal.
You will be shocked how good it runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor