Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

84H/O

Apprentice
Jul 7, 2007
I cant find anywhere, what a stock '80 Cutlass would weigh, or any g body for that matter, with full interior and regular body panels. Any one know off the top of their heads?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
32-3500lbs

84H/O

Apprentice
Jul 7, 2007
Thanks, thats what i was told once before, but my friend was comparing a 3rd gen f body to the g body, cool, I am happy that the cars are as light as they are, and are easily made lighter, from stock anyway

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
3500lbs....light? not hardly i don't think. i think they weigh a ton compared to other things

84H/O

Apprentice
Jul 7, 2007
well light in perspective i guess, either that or its just me, and just looking at the car, it looks, and currently drives like something a lot heavier, my '80 currently handles like a '71 olds 98 (well a lil less body roll) that i drove once, tho i do wish i had the 455 out of that :? and thank for the decal, hadnt thought of it, but i kno its still there, ill look when i have the chance

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
The funny thing is, newer cars have gotten a lot heavier! The Civic of the early 90's was around 2,000-2400 lbs (depending on which body style it was) whereas the new ones are right around 3,000-3100, IIRC. That's a huge increase for such a small car. Against that backdrop, a G body does not look so heavy anymore. Either that or the newer Civic looks heavy compared to the old ones.

As for weight, a stripped V6 2 door with no A/C is at the bottom with around 3200-3300 lbs. A heavily optioned V8 G body with the power Moon roof and everything else can be as much as 3600 lbs depending on which model it is and which engine it comes with (IIRC, the Olds 307 is the heaviest). By comparison, you can get a street Fox Mustang Coupe with a 5.0/5 speed down to around 2600lbs with the right parts and no options.

BTW, when I think of light cars I usually think in terms of the Datsun PL 510 for RWD, or the Austin Mini for FWD. The Datsun has 4 wheel independent suspension and 50/50 weight distribution and weighs around 2,000 lbs. The Mini weighs 1200-1500 lbs in stock form.

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
Relative to full frame cars that would fit a big block such as most stuff from the late 60s and all the 70s it relatively light. Most of that stuff was 3,900 to 4,200 pounds. So if on average you have 5 or 6 hundred pounds less to get moveing yes its relatively light.

84H/O

Apprentice
Jul 7, 2007
well to go a lil off topic then, my buddy had a festiva that you could pick up with four guys, that would be light, and he wanted to concoct a turbo set up for it and waste the ricers in the area. alright well, then i guess ill be looking at 3500 weight, with fiberglas parts and some other goodies to save weight, my planned engine is a built 403 (in place of my 260), i may be wrong but i think it would just plain be easyier to deal with a "small block" olds rather than wrangling a big block, i know some of you have the big blocks, opinions, but im looking at having my engine builder to replicate a bigger name engine builder and make 550 hp and tq.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Here is what has been done to my Heavy Grand Prix (close second to the Olds in weight).
Couple of disclaimers.
Things in italics are fact based estimates.
The rest are weighed on the same scale,same place, same procedure.
Brackets,fluids,belts,hardware are all included.
Weight placement was swagged for actual and measurements.
All will be damn close.
It is ever changing as I complete different things.
Not sure where some of the horizonal colored lines came from?
"I" have even lost 30# :shock: .
Hope this helps.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... K8EQ&gid=2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor