Weird interior elec issue. 79 Malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.

PraeT

Apprentice
Jun 3, 2015
I'm in no way an electrical guy and this has me confused. My son comes home tonight and is having issues with his Malibu. The horn, radio, elec locks, and courtesy lights do not work. Everything external like wipers, headlights, turn signals, etc... is fine. Can someone give me a hand on what I may be missing.

Fuses look fine from what I can tell, but will meter check them tomorrow in the daylight. Is there some circuit breaker that controls all of this?

Thank you.

-Jh

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Check for power to the clk/courtesy and radio fuses. There are 2 fuse links at the starter that send power into the fusebox. There should also be a circuit breaker for accessory power.

Malibu wiring diagrams can be found courtesy of http://www.maliburacing.com/wiring.html

I had one fuse link fail that left no power to most of the fusebox, but headlamps would still light.

PraeT

Apprentice
Jun 3, 2015
Found it! Stinking 25amp clc/courtesy fuse was blown. Stuck another in and presto, all good.

Thanks for the reply. Was outside hunting fuses when I saw this pop up.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Should be a 20 amp fuse, may want to check for excessive draw if someone replaced it with a 25, usually a sign that there have been previous issues.

I would suspect the radio has been added to the circuit, should be on it's own fused circuit. If it's an aftermarket head unit, might draw more than the OE and lead to an overload.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

PraeT

Apprentice
Jun 3, 2015
Will do. Yeah there is an aftermarket head unit. Plus remnants of an alarm system. Is a mess.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor