Weird lifting situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

tngbody

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2019
My car is currently supported by two jack stands in the front behind each wheel. I went to jack up the rear and the entire rear raised up. Is this normal? I jacked it up from the rear passenger side in front of the wheel.

John Canon

Apprentice
Apr 19, 2022
Vancouver Canada
Normally when you start to raise one corner, the suspension moves to allow any front/rear or side/side tipping.

You are supporting the front of the car by solid frame members, so there can be no side/side tipping. Also the weight of the engine is between the jack stands, and the jack stands are away from the corners and closer to the middle of the car, front to back.

So when you raise the rear (also close to the middle) the car pivots around a line between the two jack stands.

All is normal. Don't forget to give the vehicle a side to side heave-ho to be sure it is stable before you climb under.

Reactions: 1 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
If I understand your question, yes supporting the car behind the front wheels leaves a lot of weight hanging over the nose. It will pivot on the Jack stands a little raising the rear of the car.

Reactions: 1 user

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
If you are new at jacking up cars. A few things you should know. Never use 4 stands under the frame. One will not be fully loaded.

Also know that a floor jack does not go straight up. They swing in an arc. So they must be free to roll forward when jacking up OR the car come towards it.
Be safe.

Last edited:

mwjoyce78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 10, 2018
New Hampshire
If you are new at jacking up cars. A few things you should know. Never use 4 stands under the frame. One will not be fully loaded.

Also know floor jack to not go straight up. They swing in an arc. So they must be free to roll forward when jacking up OR the car come towards it.
Be safe.
Hi- I’m curious as to the statement about using 4 stands. Can you elaborate? And even if there is an imbalance of weight/ load due to what-have-you why does that matter exactly? Trying to learn something new :)

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Absolutely Matt. This is just safe advice I give to people. It does not apply to every situation but the fact is not every cement garage floor is perfectly flat and not every car will bend to reach the lowest stand.

Why do 99 out of 100 people get away with this? Most of these cars will sag to touch the lowest stand but IF it does not. It be an unsafe situation. The remedy, at least 2 under the suspension.

30 years ago I was under a Dodge Dart with 4 stands supporting the car by the frame. I was moving on a creeper and bumped into a stand and it shot out from under the frame. I panicked a rolled myself out from under the car and it just sat there with 3 stands supporting it. It was a rear stand and the 2 under the heavy end were solid. Even though I panicked and reacted in 1 sec. That 4rth stand was never loaded.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
:) Ya John. It was a pretty special car to me. It came from Texas so there was no rust, it had orange floors. 383 power and it went a very traction limited 12.40@111mph. I'm sure there was more in it but that was it's only visit to the track and we ended up selling it right after.

Back to the 4rth stand supporting. I also see this on 2 post lifts. The 4rth arm is not really loaded. Not a concern with something that bends like a pick up truck but unibodies do not bend.

Attachments

• 72Dart.jpg
    72Dart.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 66
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor