Welding Techniques

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
I learned welding at the University of Northwestern Ohio (UNOH). Welded rollcages for the #13 Thorsport Camping World Series team, was Jeff Burton's son Jeb driving at the time. Currently I work as a machinist/welder at Norfolk Southern railroad where we mostly do stick (heavy steel) but when I mig I pull instead of push any chance I get. As far as vertical goes with mig you always go downward. Way too much heat for sheet metal going upwards.
Any one can develop bad habits in weld procedure , it doesnt make them right . Again as i stated before you can make a weld pulling it , its just not a good habit to get in , especially if you ever want to obtain some certification . Trust me when you go take your plate test you WILL NOT BE WELDING DOWN HILL ! This is part of the reason not to develop a habit of always welding down hill or pulling your welds , it will be just the opposite of what you will be taught when practicing for your certification ! [ HOBART WELDING SCHOOL 1992, D1.1 AND D1.5 CERTIFIED ] Look those up for clarity on my above statement . BTW i built and weld inspected a many of norfolk southern railcar !

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Like i said previously it can be done in certain situations , but it is not desirable ! Any welder will tell you that . And the fact that you had a good experienced welder working on your project helped more than you realize. You see when you do that for a living your constantly looking at all the potential problems 3 welds ahead of being made , thats what a experienced welder does ! He also knows all the problem areas and how to do a good work around for the project hes working on . Thats a good looking build !

Actually he owned the car and I was the one helping out. We built 2 metrics, a Camaro and a sportsman before the pro late model. The owner's son drove all the cars and he had some back crashes but he never got hurt. All the cars we built are still on the track and every one ran up front. As far as the owner's welding experience and expertise I know him and the work he does is amazing and that comes from other experienced welders. With all due respect to you I have no idea how much experience you have and if you even know what you are doing when it comes to welding. The video's that are posted in this thread are done buy a guy who is actually doing the welding and explaining as he is going along. All I have seen from you is words claiming you know better than he does but if you read the reviews no one criticizes what he doing, they are all good reviews and one guy mentioned using a stick which is a good idea,..

"Here in the State's, where I'm from, we call that long arcing. Nice video. I have over 20 years of Fab experience, am 6G certified and have an industrial and engineering welding certificate, (because paper helps get jobs now days) however, I also am always looking for better ways to do my job. I have yet to watch one of your videos and feel the need to call bullshit. Great job. "

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
Actually he owned the car and I was the one helping out. We built 2 metrics, a Camaro and a sportsman before the pro late model. The owner's son drove all the cars and he had some back crashes but he never got hurt. All the cars we built are still on the track and every one ran up front. As far as the owner's welding experience and expertise I know him and the work he does is amazing and that comes from other experienced welders. With all due respect to you I have no idea how much experience you have and if you even know what you are doing when it comes to welding. The video's that are posted in this thread are done buy a guy who is actually doing the welding and explaining as he is going along. All I have seen from you is words claiming you know better than he does but if you read the reviews no one criticizes what he doing, they are all good reviews and one guy mentioned using a stick which is a good idea,..

"Here in the State's, where I'm from, we call that long arcing. Nice video. I have over 20 years of Fab experience, am 6G certified and have an industrial and engineering welding certificate, (because paper helps get jobs now days) however, I also am always looking for better ways to do my job. I have yet to watch one of your videos and feel the need to call bullshit. Great job. "
Well to start with im not trying [ dis ] the guy , im just stating fact ! I never claimed to have made any welding videos ! And FYI as i previously stated I have had 20 + years fabricating , building everything from hyd dump trailers to 150 ft articulated railcars , also worked in tooling and jig shop for 10 years [ HOBART WELD SCHOOL 1992 D1.1 AND D1.5 CERTIFIED ! ] THERS YOUR BULLSHIT ! And 3 years before changing careers i was a weld inspector . I see by your cert you were a pipe welder , one of the few things i didnt do professionally i did do a good bit of tig welding hyd pipe fittings but not as a every day job . No hard feelings just saying !

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
you missed my point, that is "fact" according to you and like I said I have no idea who you are., that is a fact
you missed my point, that is "fact" according to you and like I said I have no idea who you are., that is a fact
I suppose you do not know who i am , but you know by what i said about pulling a mig weld is true ! when you took your plate test you see anyone pulling there welds ? Of course not ! And while i realize 99 percent of the people looking for some welding tips have no idea what a coupon is , you do . And you know during the mig welding part of your certification theres no way in hell your coupon would hold up if you attempted to pull a weld , that was my point ! And you dont have to know me to know that, Thats all im saying

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
And you dont have to know me to know that, Thats all im saying

Xi-z6lSrvKMIJ9zz-kUW0hP9nI14e-AxhhASp7FOlw0.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Any one can develop bad habits in weld procedure , it doesnt make them right . Again as i stated before you can make a weld pulling it , its just not a good habit to get in , especially if you ever want to obtain some certification . Trust me when you go take your plate test you WILL NOT BE WELDING DOWN HILL ! This is part of the reason not to develop a habit of always welding down hill or pulling your welds , it will be just the opposite of what you will be taught when practicing for your certification ! [ HOBART WELDING SCHOOL 1992, D1.1 AND D1.5 CERTIFIED ] Look those up for clarity on my above statement . BTW i built and weld inspected a many of norfolk southern railcar !
That's interesting since I am state certified as well. Now if you'll excuse me I gotta go to work and weld some locomotive pilots incorrectly.

• Winner
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor