Welding Tips and Tricks.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
So if when I weld, my biggest fear is blowing through, I'm legit right?

comedy central season 2 episode 6 GIF by Workaholics

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I just did a repair on a Jeep exhaust pipe. The exhaust pipe flange was still bolted and rusted solidly to the head pipe flange. I did not want to mess with that. The exhaust pipe could be slid in and out of the flange because the weld had failed all around the circumference. This is where the http://www.messerwelding.com/Product PDFs/by part/MG easy strike.pdf [Easy Strike] 1/16" flux coated rods come in handy. First I used a big woodworking adjustable screw clamp to pull the exhaust pipe back into the flange good and tight. I have a cheapola HF 110/220 stick welder. I only use 110 and I turned it down to the lowest setting which is 40 amps. The tiny rods are perfect for getting into a tight space and not blowing through the thin pipes. I spot welded in a few spots to secure the pipe then removed the clamp so I could work all around the flange. Then I filled in the rest of the way 360° around. These thin rods work great with low amps and let you linger so you get good penetration without blowing through. There was not enough room to grind the entire area down to bare metal. By being able to linger you can melt away the rust and get a good weld. When I was done I could not hear any pinhole leaks but I schmeared some muffler weld paste all over the area just to be sure. 1647441598506.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor