Well look what followed me home...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
I performed an autopsy and only suspect thing i found was the front pump , Its had at least 1 convertor replacement , and according to the paperwork, they replaced the pump and the convertor 3 times. Never really stating the reason for the failure to begin with, It was just a fly by night transmission repair chain and now the business nor the buildings are there today. but no smoked clutches, band wasnt too bad. little dark in the middle but no cracking of the lining to indicate high heat from slipping. the steels where in good shape no blueing all flat other than the waves, but I tried the trans when I got the car running and it was just like it was in nutral, I was hoping to maybe find the s clip loose on the selector valve , but it was right in place. I figure the convertor sh*t the bed again.

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
I performed an autopsy and only suspect thing i found was the front pump , Its had at least 1 convertor replacement , and according to the paperwork, they replaced the pump and the convertor 3 times. Never really stating the reason for the failure to begin with, It was just a fly by night transmission repair chain and now the business nor the buildings are there today. but no smoked clutches, band wasnt too bad. little dark in the middle but no cracking of the lining to indicate high heat from slipping. the steels where in good shape no blueing all flat other than the waves, but I tried the trans when I got the car running and it was just like it was in nutral, I was hoping to maybe find the s clip loose on the selector valve , but it was right in place. I figure the convertor sh*t the bed again.
Even a fly by night transmission shop would have picked up on that guess we’ll never know

Reactions: 1 user

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
after taking it back 3 times , he just parked the car in 2004 .

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
One thing I did notice is it only had the 1 pump spring. everything I read says 2 should be there.

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
Even a fly by night transmission shop would have picked up on that guess we’ll never know
I did find this in the ATSG manual
20210110_223549.jpg
, I haven't pulled the seals I just inspected for cuts or tears and didnt find any. If you see something I dont please by all means let me know, Im no expert by any means, I just get lucky a few times..lol also i did notice that 1 of the center support bolts was loose when i went to remove them.

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
Very cool ride. I picked up an 86 about a year ago for a future build for my daughter to autocross. I also picked up an 84 Cutlass more door to use as a parts car, accept for a banged up front clip it's in way better shape. Still I like the ugly Betty, bad-A Grandma potential character of the Bonneville more so I'll be transferring a lot of parts.

Yours is way cleaner than mine, nice start! What are your plans for it?

Bruiser Grandma2.jpg

• Love

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
Just gonna try and get it running and driving first , work out the kinks, Notice yesterday its gonna need all the rubber brake lines replaced front pads , Haven't pulled the drums yet. so No idea what lurks, gotta get the trans done and back in so I can drive it.I picked up a set of 14x7 pontiac rallys for a song so gonna put some slightly wider meats , and drive it till I find a suitable 350 to insert under the 416 heads .lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
Well As I sat here tonight after getting my work area straight and getting the trans parts laid out I did some cleaning and inspecting, and other than the scored pump cover and beat up front pump bushing, I didnt see anything obvious, other than the low/reverse cup seal looked a bit off center and beadown but there wasnt hardly any debris in the pan, and there wasnt really anything in common between no drive and no reverse. no single check ball or anything obvious, other other than , I remember after getting the car running, ones you turned it off , it sounded like the convertor was still spinning. so I was thinking about the pump, and got to looking at the rebuild paperwork and My dumbass totally never thought to check the mileage it was done to what's on the car now..LOL turned out after some simple math, this guy got 53,000 miles and 3 years out of this rebuild , not the 6 months and 4,000 I was thinking..LOL Im a dumbass. Now I do figure its the convertor. good news is the rest of the trans seems to be in great shape for 53k . and turned out his dad had the same company do the trans back at 100,000 miles and it lasted 90,0000 before his son had it rebuilt. so it's nothing the shop did. When I thought I was losing my mind not being able to find anything out of place , I did notice however only 1 governor weight I think the large one is missing the inner spring.

20210202_165110.jpg
20210202_154755.jpg

20210202_154447.jpg

20210202_154832.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
Well As I sat here tonight after getting my work area straight and getting the trans parts laid out I did some cleaning and inspecting, and other than the scored pump cover and beat up front pump bushing, I didnt see anything obvious, other than the low/reverse cup seal looked a bit off center and beadown but there wasnt hardly any debris in the pan, and there wasnt really anything in common between no drive and no reverse. no single check ball or anything obvious, other other than , I remember after getting the car running, ones you turned it off , it sounded like the convertor was still spinning. so I was thinking about the pump, and got to looking at the rebuild paperwork and My dumbass totally never thought to check the mileage it was done to what's on the car now..LOL turned out after some simple math, this guy got 53,000 miles and 3 years out of this rebuild , not the 6 months and 4,000 I was thinking..LOL Im a dumbass. Now I do figure its the convertor. good news is the rest of the trans seems to be in great shape for 53k . and turned out his dad had the same company do the trans back at 100,000 miles and it lasted 90,0000 before his son had it rebuilt. so it's nothing the shop did. When I thought I was losing my mind not being able to find anything out of place , I did notice however only 1 governor weight I think the large one is missing the inner spring.

View attachment 167851 View attachment 167852
View attachment 167853
View attachment 167854
I wouldn’t be afraid to scuff them up and reuse them especially if they’re at least .090 th thick
What is the valve body ink code in the transmission

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
Nothing on the Valve body, just cast iron. this is a CRF trans , and has the dummy plug 348 in the T.V clutch bore. Running the .422 boost valve , I did measure it and it wasnt the big one. those clutches where between .081-.084 thick on all of them . fairly even. Not bad for being in a trans people thought were junk when they were new for 54,000 miles ...lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor