Well look what followed me home...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
Nothing on the Valve body, just cast iron. this is a CRF trans , and has the dummy plug 348 in the T.V clutch bore. think its still running the .471 boost valve . I did measure it and it wasnt the big one. those clutches where between .081-.084 thick on all of them . fairly even. Not bad for being in a trans people thought were junk when they were new for 54,000 miles ...
Well, after not really finding a smoking gun in the trans now that i have it 90% of the way back together and waiting only for a pump bushing, I turned my attention to the convertor, I had stuffed the input shaft into it and it turned, and then I thought maybe the stator sprag was gone, so I stabbed in the stator, resistance one way and free the other, So I was almost inclined to say it was good, but for giggles I drained what fluid I could out of it and found the problem almost immediately ones I shined a light down her gullet. input spines are tore right out of her. Must have had a hard time holding the whopping 250Ftlbs of torque from the stock LG4 ..lol
20210207_160624.jpg
20210207_160723.jpg

Question is why did this happen 3 times ? Input shaft in the trans looks and measured out fine, No worn splines on the trans side.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
New vid is up . Bear in mind I only tossed in 8 quarts of fluid because I didnt have any more on hand, and it was late after finishing the front pump and getting it and the valve body torqued and then installing the trans in the car and getting it running, so that is why i didnt drive it . I knew it would be low on fluid, but i could still test it with the rear end jacked up and not really strain the trans but still be able to make sure it functioned. As i had no history for what it was doing before the rebuild and I didnt really change anything parts wise in the trans so i could see how it was working before the failure. I did remove a big shim washer that looked like someone added it for a quicker band release to increase spring pressure Id rather the band apply quicker, and be kinda slow to release vs slower to apply and quicker to release. might only be a small point, but small points add up. Also moved the 3-4 accumulator piston to the Valve body side of the spring and drilled out the return passage for the front seal.
https://rumble.com/vdyu71-2004r-update-pt3.html

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
Reactions: 1 user

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
20210228_153713.jpg
20210228_161441.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
After crunching some numbers , I think I figured out why this thing eats convertors. with this bonneville salt flats inspired 2.41 gear I seen the engine RPMs at 65 mph is only 1282 rpm and only 1068 RPMs at 50 MPH LOL so he was more than likely driving it around town in OD just lugging the sh*t out of the engine. So the 3.42s i pulled from the S10 will be a welcome relief for the transmission.

Reactions: 1 users

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
LOL and its the low compression LG4, they didnt replace it with the correct one when they did the jasper reman. this one has the dished pistons with the 4 valve reliefs. but its got the knock sensor ESC system, I was reading last night that only the higher compression LG4s got the knock sensor setup and the factory brochure list it as being 9.5 to 1 .

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
Next up ..Uncle sniffy bought me new tires for my 14x7 rallyes
20210317_174729.jpg

20210220_121020.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor