What am I doing wrong? Crossmember

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattheyew

n00b
May 26, 2014
Evening everyone! Apology in advance if there was a better place to post this or if its been discussed a million times in a place the search function doesn't reach.
I have a new to me 86 MC SS with a 305/350 combo. I got the car through a trade and its new territory for me, especially the automatic portion.

My questions:
Am I doing this forum thing right?
Why can't I get the crossmember to work, previous owner said it should bolt right up.
How do I know if the kick down cable is set up correctly, if one is installed.
Pictures ;)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,297
  • image (1).jpeg
    image (1).jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 963

Mattheyew

n00b
May 26, 2014
Thank you for the picture. Any chance of modifying the piece I have to work?
If not,
Did the MCs come with a th350 and thats where Ill find that piece or is there a list of vehicles I should look for at the JY.

Any insight on the kick down?

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
If you didn't know, Jegs sells a dual exhaust crossmember for $129 with free shipping, part number 41050. The way I look at it, no hunting for a stock one at junkyards, fighting corroded bolts and especially not having to worry about modifying a stock one if you go with duals down the road. I'm a big fan of saving time and avoiding aggravation.

Mattheyew

n00b
May 26, 2014
Im sad no one has tried or been successful at modifying cross members. I guess Ill order the jegster and while waiting seeing if i can chop the member i have to work. I always love finding free ways to make things work

whatupg

n00b
Dec 24, 2013
I have a 1985 Olds 442 and swapped out the 307/2004R for a Chevy 350/700R4. I purchased the Jegster and their true dual w/ chamber exhaust. I haven't yet installed the exhaust (due to a motor mount issue) but the crossmember fit perfectly. I can also tell you (and I'm sure someone will pounce on me if I'm wrong), but I believe the 2004R, which was original to your car, is the same length as a TH350 short tail housing, and the 700R4 is the same length as the TH350 w/ the long tail housing. So, it sounds like you may have a TH350 w/ the long tail housing. I'd have someone who knows transmissions look at it. Also, if you can do so easily you could take the overall length measurement and call your local transmission shop and ask them the length of a 700R4. I would do this before you order the Jegster. If you order the part for the 350 and you have the long tail housing version, you'll be no better off than you are now. Another thing, is that the Jegster is a double hump version so you can run your factory exhaust or a true dual. Good luck.

84e/c

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 25, 2010
bethpage.ny
visit the junk yard you should find one on the cheep.
maybe someone has their old one still lying around for you. i looked but its gone, sorry dude

AlamoCity210

Greasemonkey
Mar 15, 2012
San Antonio, Tx
@whatupg, so are you saying that a cross member for a th350 will work on a 700r4? I have a 700r4 but a 3sp cross member. The mount is like 2-3" to the right. I was gonna try to modify it but.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor