What am I missing on this auction? Has to be shill bidding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
In order to do that many bids, though to drive the price up like that, I think the 12 feedback bidder drove it to the 11's forcing the 1 feedbacker bidder to keep going until he jumped the hurdle to be in the lead. Just a guess. I don't care. Someone's going to be paying through the nose for that car for no good reason. Even at $2500 that's about the limit I'd go, based on the conditions I can see, IMO. But what do I know? Maybe there's some gold coins in the trunk.
The bid history shows the 12 feedback bidder high bid of 2500 everything else after that was the one feedback bidder

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You can't outbid yourself to drive the price up that high. You can only raise your bid max. So if someone bid 2500, you bid 2550, then 25?? would be the new price. If you came along and put down $6K as a max bid, the bid would still be 25?? until someone else pushed it higher. Something weird is going on.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
I took a look at those eBay Impalas. fake ads, scams, or garbage.
clues:
1- pictures are complete garbage
2- "This ALL ORIGINAL ’65 Impala was purchased by it’s first registered owner in 2013 with 6 miles on the odometer. "
3- the interior dash trim color never looked like that
4- AFAIK, those spoked wheels where never available
5- one says engine rebuild? automatic non-original value chopped off

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
You can't outbid yourself to drive the price up that high. You can only raise your bid max. So if someone bid 2500, you bid 2550, then 25?? would be the new price. If you came along and put down $6K as a max bid, the bid would still be 25?? until someone else pushed it higher. Something weird is going on.
You can if it had a reserve and he met it

When it makes reserve, it shows the prior max bids as they were made in the bid history

It appears the reserve was 11999.00

Last edited:

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Could be a remote bid generator. E-Bay has a mechanism attached to bidding that lets you set an obnoxiously high price just for the purpose of driving off competitors. Most potential bidders get frustrated after having a series of bids returned as insufficient.

The bid bomb, my term, is when a bidder with deep pockets waits until about 5 seconds is left on the bid clock and then submits a command bid that is both way higher than the current winning bid and too close to the cut off for anyone to react or make a rebid. Been there and had that happen to me more than once.

Could also be a case of the owner/auctioneer bidding against himself in an attempt to drive the price beyond reasonable as a way to get the highest price he/she can. Only option there is to drop the auction.

Nick

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
He was talking about the 11K plus money it currently sits at, I believe.

That is correct, for 11K there should be no rust issues. That car is worth no more than 1k IMO. Despite the low miles the body is likely terminal, probably the frame as well. At a minimum that car will need a full tear down and frame off restore.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You can if it had a reserve and he met it

When it makes reserve, it shows the prior max bids as they were made in the bid history

It appears the reserve was 11999.00
That may be what happened. Still ain't worth it at any level above where he started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor