What are these plugs for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Depends if you have a dual-bed catalytic converter, or "three-way."

With dual-bed, an air pipe runs to the converter and is needed all the time for converter operation during normal driving. The computer assumes it's there, and adjusts the mixture differently than for "three-way."

With "three-way," the smog pump is only active during warm up, then it's switched out and does nothing. There's no pipe to the converter. The converter will work fine without it, and the computer won't know the difference (but will probably complain anyway).

Either one is in the way any time you have to get at anything.

EDIT: Also, on your Buick V6 no ports on the exhaust manifolds, a tube runs to the intake manifold behind the carburetor.

Last edited:

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Yeah I figure that and I really wouldn’t care but I can’t stand the way my engine bay looks.
Pulling out the N/A Buick V6 and putting in a V8 will make it look better also.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017

With dual-bed, an air pipe runs to the converter and is needed all the time for converter operation during normal driving. The computer assumes it's there, and adjusts the mixture differently than for "three-way."

With "three-way," the smog pump is only active during warm up, then it's switched out and does nothing. There's no pipe to the converter. The converter will work fine without it, and the computer won't know the difference (but will probably complain anyway).

EDIT: Also, on your Buick V6 no ports on the exhaust manifolds, a tube runs to the intake manifold behind the carburetor.
With the smog pump missing do you think this is why it idles high? It starts right up and drives good but when I put it in gear it will chirp the wheels.

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017

With the smog pump missing do you think this is why it idles high? It starts right up and drives good but when I put it in gear it will chirp the wheels.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013

Doubtful. More likely causes:

1) Idle stop screw turned in too far.

2) Idle Speed Control (ISC) motor plunger nose switch dead. This causes the computer to leave the plunger fully extended, which keeps the idle high. You can check the switch with an ohm meter. (Less likely, the whole motor could be dead. Less likely still, the plunger could be turned out too far.)

3) Catalytic converter clogged up. This causes exhaust to blow back out the intake, which prevents the throttle plate from closing, which prevents the idle from going down.

My car had all three, and I dealt with them in that order.

Last edited:

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Doubtful. More likely causes:

1) Idle stop screw turned in too far.

2) Idle Speed Control (ISC) motor plunger nose switch dead. This causes the computer to leave the plunger fully extended, which keeps the idle high. You can check the switch with an ohm meter. (Less likely, the whole motor could be dead. Less likely still, the plunger could be turned out too far.)

3) Catalytic converter clogged up. This causes exhaust to blow back out the intake, which prevents the throttle plate from closing, which prevents the idle from going down.

My car had all three, and I dealt with them in that order.
My cat was gone when I got my car, yet the smog pump was intact. The tube to the cat was cut off near the same. It idled very high, and wouldn't come down until after driving, even a short distance. I never did fix it, but I wonder if that's what killed the driver side motor mount?

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Catalytic converter clogged up. This causes exhaust to blow back out the intake, which prevents the throttle plate from closing, which prevents the idle from going down.
huh?:doh: no, it doesn't happen that way. a clogged or restricted exhaust causes less air to enter the eng. in a n.a. eng, the air entering an engine is relatively equal to the air leaving an eng.
so the air doesn't blow back out of the intake, the piston just compresses whatever air is left in the cylinder. and since less or no air is leaving the cylinder, less or no more air can enter.
when this occurs in a vehicle with an o2 sensor, it may cause a rich code to set.
I'm still trying to get my hands around the idea that air, traveling in either direction can hold a throttle blade open.
joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor