what can a 3.8 do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What confuses the G body newcomer is in stock form, NONE of these cars or engines of this time period had any appreciable power. I think the stock 305 at the time put out 145 HP? Wow, a whole 35 HP more than the 3.8 V6! You could feel it, but it wasn't a great feeling. I think one of the reasons so many of these engines are still running 20-30 years later is they weren't powered or worked to death. The engines were built very solid, with cast iron blocks and heads that are things difficult to find on new cars today.

I'm mainly talking about the newcomers who buy one of these cars in stock form thinking because it's RWD and has a frame, that it's going to be something fast. They aren't, unless you are going to hot rod it, which opens up a world of options with the G body.

If you are going to buy one of these cars to hot rod, you are most likely going to scrap the original engine anyways. But a G body you can find with an original good running 3.8 is a great platform to start with and something you can drive around until you get around to the project- just keep it running and don't put money in to souping up the 3.8 because as mentioned it's not worth it.

With the car you find, think it out and determine what you want to do with it and how much you want to spend. Is it just a daily car to commute with, do you want to make something fast, or find one as original as possible, or chop and drop, etc? The list is endless. I've been farting around with and intrigued by G bodies since the time they were introduced in '78, and have just been keeping my two current ones as time capsules as it has been sad to see these last of the mainstream RWD cars that were so popular decades ago fade away. I'm grateful to those who keep them alive in any form 😛

-UT-

megaladon6 said:
one thing to watch out for when comparing HP numbers--they changed standards and methods. the 3.8 was tested at 110hp 20yrs ago true. the same engine today tests at twice that. thats why the 'vettes were only rated at something like 230hp with a big block. the real number was more like 350-400hp i think. todays rating system is much more accurate.

Actually, the changes in the SAE net rating system are more conservative today than they were back then. They changed the correction factor in the late 90's to give a more real world picture of engine output, and they also changed to the power rating being an average of 3 engines, not just one like before. So, the 5.0 Mustang, for example, lost 10 hp in one year despite the engines being identical from year to year. Also, before 1972, engines were rated at SAE gross, not net. Net is with all accessories, exhaust manifolds, etc as opposed to gross which has no accessories attached. The 3.8 may make 95-100 hp today, not 2x as much! The reason the 3800 series II makes so much more is due to improvements in the heads, cam, compression, etc.- not a new rating system. Try running a 1986 Regal with a V6 VS a Grand Prix with a 3800 series II on a chassis dyno and you will see a dramatic difference.

Oh, and other than the GN, ALL G bodies are engine swap cars. No one buys them to leave them stock with their original engine. If you want stock, any newer car from the 90's on up is a better driving experience, better on gas and probably handles better than all but a handful of stock G bodies. A stock Civic, Sentra or Tercel will annihilate a 2bbl V6 G body! Even a Geo Metro would likely win in a drag race against a V6 G car. Fortunately, it is an easy enough platform to play with that happiness is just a few bolts and weekends away.

85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Oh, and other than the GN, ALL G bodies are engine swap cars. No one buys them to leave them stock with their original engine.

Now that is just not true. At least not in the Monte Carlo SS world. Mine is all stock, as is my firends. Both are multiple award winners and drive just great thanks.

i wasn't referring to the seriesII engine. that would be a different engine. but, for a good example of the change in ratings: "For 1970 Cadillac stroked the V8 to 4.304 in (109.3 mm), increasing total displacement on the engine up to a full 500 in³ (8.2 L). At introduction it was rated at 400 horsepower (298 kW), SAE gross, and 550 ft·lbf (750 N•m) of torque. For 1971 compression was reduced from 10:1 to 8.5:1, the lowered compression ratio dropped the 500-cubic-incher's output from 400 to 365 hp (gross) or 235 hp (175 kW) in the new SAE ratings. By 1976, its final year, it had fallen to 190 hp (142 kW). However, a new Bendix electronic fuel injection system was offered as an option, and it pumped up output to 215 horsepower (160 kW). In 1972, Cadillac changed the horsepower rating from gross--measured at the flywheel with open exhaust and no accessories--to net--measured at the flywheel with full accessories and restrictive exhaust--which would account for the horsepower drop in the chart. Despite the large differences in horsepower ratings, all years from 71-76 made roughly the same power." 365hp to 190hp is an over 50% drop.

i agree that a 3.8 is best as a boat anchor, actually i would not let one of those greasy pos sorry excuse for a motor near my boat!! 305s are decent but not for speed and performance unless built well, why waste time on that when you can get a 350 from a salvage yard for 125 bucks?? i agree, turbo regals are the only good g body motor

idk guys, i dont have immediate plans of replacing my 3.8...

As long as they run, and run good as a 110hp motor can run. It will work.
I want to replace my 3.8 with a 350 but dont plan to until my motor craps. I want it to last long that way I can have time to build the motor up right and already have the transmission and everything to be put in.

well my cutlass is my first car so im gonna wait before i get power hungry under the hood

megaladon6 said:
one thing to watch out for when comparing HP numbers--they changed standards and methods. the 3.8 was tested at 110hp 20yrs ago true. the same engine today tests at twice that. thats why the 'vettes were only rated at something like 230hp with a big block. the real number was more like 350-400hp i think. todays rating system is much more accurate.

A big block hasn't been in a production Corvette since the mid 70's and even the 1974 454 4spd wasn't even close to 400hp, then you get into the early C4 Vette which weren't any faster than a 350 TPI Trans Am or Z28

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor