what can a 3.8 do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
RITTER said:
megaladon6 said:
one thing to watch out for when comparing HP numbers--they changed standards and methods. the 3.8 was tested at 110hp 20yrs ago true. the same engine today tests at twice that. thats why the 'vettes were only rated at something like 230hp with a big block. the real number was more like 350-400hp i think. todays rating system is much more accurate.

A big block hasn't been in a production Corvette since the mid 70's and even the 1974 454 4spd wasn't even close to 400hp, then you get into the early C4 Vette which weren't any faster than a 350 TPI Trans Am or Z28

this is why i have always thought that vettes were overpriced rolling garbage cans! 😀

there 3800II camaro guys pushing 600hp with turbos...but a series II in a G-Body would be 1000x easier to work on than a 4th gen fbody.

I know for the 3.4 RWD people swap newer (like 99-02) 3400 heads/intake.

maybe you could swap 3800II heads/intake on to your old 3.8? IDK just a thought

this is why i have always thought that vettes were overpriced rolling garbage cans!

wow no love for the car that is said to be the "best bang for the buck" of exotic cars??? yea the 70s and early 80s may not have been what they maybe should have been but come on, anything from the late 80s on especialy lt1 to present vettes??? they are worth it!

Reds, STLRegal had it right. Just drive the 3.8 while you locate acquire machine gather speed parts for and have the motor you want built. It will likely depending on your budget take you several months or a year plus to accomplish that, in the mean time just drive the 3.8 sinking no money into it other than maybe a tune up. Finally if you just can't stand it locate a used 4bbl intake & carb off the Buick 4.1 as it will be cheap is a direct bolt on and will provide both better mileage & a little more power. The good thing about the 3.8 like the 307 is short of timeing chain, oil pump & carberator rebuilds you can not wear them out.

redsx2434 said:
well my cutlass is my first car so im gonna wait before i get power hungry under the hood

that wont be long trust me LOL :lol:

Yea lol like the first time a cavalier walks his 3.8. They are good long lasting engines but yea pretty bad in the HP department.

85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Oh, and other than the GN, ALL G bodies are engine swap cars. No one buys them to leave them stock with their original engine.

I will NEVER swap out my 3.8 v6...and its not a GN either. :wink:

Fine... I usually mention "Turbo Regal" instead of GN. I am probably one of the few who know that the drivetrain was offered in more than just the GN and T type-it was an option on any 2 door Regal from the most stripped model to the GN and even the Regal Limited.

The 2 3.8's being the 229 Chevy and 231 Buick are both long lasting engines but they have virtually no power. They are not worth building on, and when they go a V8 swap that you can build on is the way to go. Keep in mind however that the stock V8's of the G body era were not very powerful either, with a 305 making if I remember correct 130 HP and the 350 making 150 HP. So if you are swapping in a stock engine without building the engine up, you are not going to get a dramatic increase in horsepower over the 3.8 V6. I had a '78 Cutlass with the stock VIN H 4 barrel 305, and when you think you would have big power with a 4 barrel V8, it was nearly as anemic as either of the 3.8 V6's is. These cars are lead-sleds, and to really get good power out of a small block V8 you have to drop the emissions equipment and put in a cam, carb, intake and exhaust that can get the thing moving.

-UT-

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor