What can i remove from engine (305)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockstar

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2007
Tampa,Fl
Its been awhile since iv had a G body with a computer in it and i was wanting to know what can i take off the engine? Unecessary things like the pollution control, charcol canister, ETC. On my last one i had just the bare minimum, i want to make it look as clean and neat as possible. Also which intake and carb do i go with on my 88 Monte w/ a 305.(holly brand) Is there a tech on swaping that out? Im very illeterate when it comes to the engine bay and i dont want to f this one up. Any one up to helping? :lol:

pose_442

Greasemonkey
Feb 12, 2007
I would say the best bet would be to start with swapping the intake for a Street Dominator unit. This also has a block off if you want to remove the EGR valve. Summit has these for around $160 new.

Since you're replacing the intake, this is a perfect time to install a '79 and older non-ecm distributor and carb. 600 cfm should be plenty for a stock 305.

These parts will free the engine from computer control, and you can get rid of the emission controls at that point without interfering with the engine operation. Don't forget to remove the service engine light from the dash cluster.

For the air injection tubes on the exhaust manifolds, a trick I had done a couple years ago was remove one of the rails, and take it to Lowe's or Home Depot. I picked up a set of 8 allen head set screws. These dont have heads so it provides a clean look. I made sure the threads and length matched up well, and installed them in the exhaust manifolds. These blocked the ports and made the motor look very clean.

Double check with some other guys on here, don't go on just my word. I'm pretty sure of myself but have been wrong before as well. :lol:

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
The AIR tubes are tubing sized and threaded, using the same threads as bolts do. I cut down some bolts and just screwed the super short bolts into the manifolds for mine.

Use a 1975-80 Chevy V8 HEI distributor. You should use one from a Camaro to get the proper advance weights set up for a peppy street car. When you go to the parts store, tell them that you want the 1978 Z28 with a 350 4bbl engine. That will get you close.

You can immediately just unplug the EGR until you block it off and run a 305 quadrajet from the 70's to eliminate the rest of your computer engine controls. Then when you buy a new intake/carb setup, get a near stock flow intake like a performer with a 600 cfm carb and you'll be golden. Don't forget that you have the 87-up bolt pattern for the intake which is different than the old small block chevy pattern.

Two HUGE upgrades that your engine needs are the exhaust and the cam. Your manifolds are horrible - as far as flow is concerned - and you will benefit immensely just from changing over to headers or a set of firebird/camaro TPI exhaust manifolds. DON'T USE THE TBI ENGINE PIECES - THEY ARE THE ONLY ONES WORSE THAN YOURS EVER MADE!

The next is your camshaft. Running a stock/used LT1 cam is a great street piece.

Your heads are desirable as budget pieces and have plenty of meat on them for being ported and upgraded. They run extremely well on 350 and 400 engines as well if you're gonna upgrade later.

Rockstar

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2007
Tampa,Fl
Yeah that hidious exaust tube on the exaust manifold are the first thing i want to take off. I figured i could just plug them up untill i get headers. Someone on here in another forum said stick with the 3 H's, Headers, Holly intake, Holly Carb. Im not looking for an allout street rod just something to keep up with todays performance cars and look good. Could i use a holly carb thats compatable with the computer or is it just as easy to go with a non ecm dist. and carb?

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
I have not seen any Holley carbs that work with the computer...

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
just make sure that you won't get in trouble for removing emissions controls. keeping the carbon canister is a good idea as it removes vapors from the tank and runs them to the carb. other than that, intake--here's a few choices http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...8+4294903504+115+4294903503&Ntk=KeywordSearch headers with dual exhaust (or at least get rid of the cat), carb--i'd read through the sticky "holley vs q-jet" in how to's, HEI distributor(however i have the stock dist in my 383 and the 305 HO computer and it works great), and a better cam.

Rockstar

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2007
Tampa,Fl
Thanks i appreciate all the helpful input. The only thing i need now is someone who knows what they are doing to help me :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor