What do you think... Olds 455?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
So yesterday I was out riding through the country, and stopping by a couple of junk yards I know that hold on to older stuff. I wasn't looking for anything in particular. Just passing the time on my day off... I happen to look and find a complete 455 Oldsmobile sitting there, minus the accessories & brackets. It has the script raised letter "Oldsmobile" valve covers, Edelbrock RPM intake manifold, and its got an oil filter relocation kit. He said the motor turns over freely, but he doesn't know too much about it. The guy said he is selling it for a friend of his, and he wants $350 for it. :shock: I almost pulled out the money and handed it to him on the spot. I got the numbers and went home to do some research.

Block Numbers: 396021F

Head Numbers: G

So from what I can see it is a '71 455 with pre-smog era heads. So what do you guys think? Should I buy it? I don't have a need for it. I would just put it in my shed for later in life. When I get another Oldsmobile.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
If I were in your shoes...Id buy it for sure.... You cant lose at that price...unless the block is cracked....

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
You should easy be able to get that back out of it from a board member here looking for one should you want to help someone out or turn it back over for the cash. You can use 307 brackets etc with a little modification. Hmnn well at least the AC bracket not sure about the rest. http://www.robertpowersmotorsports.com/ ... ngine.html

trocutlass63

Greasemonkey
Aug 26, 2011
Metro Detroit
As long as it's still rebuildable then that is an amazing deal. Around me pre-smog 455's are going for $400 for just a short block alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor