What got you in to Cutlasses/G Bodies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronCastKnight

Apprentice
Sep 8, 2012
Tulsa, Oklahoma
My parents bought an 85 Delta 88 for me to drive when I was 17, and I thought it was the coolest ****ing car ever. It was big, it was ugly(yet beautiful), it was super comfortable, and it still tore *ss on the freeway when my dad would pound the gas pedal. Broke my heart when we had to sell it a year later as we were moving to the tropics. I dreamed of getting another Delta 88 for years afterwards, though the dreams slowly faded away to nothing...

Cut to five months ago. New to Tulsa, with a new job filling my pockets with dosh, and the desire to gain myself a nice car building deep inside me like heartburn. I thought long, I thought hard, and I still didn't know. Then I remembered the Delta 88, and I imagined my ideal: A metallic blue 80s Oldsmobile with whitewalls and dual exhausts! After a few days meandering around Craigslist I found it, and a few days after that it was mine. To make things better, not only did I gain a wicked *ss ride, I also had the gearhead sleeping deep inside me awakened and whipped into a frenzy.

Amusingly, it turns out my family has a strong undercurrent of Olds love in it as well, as one of my great uncles has a perfectly maintained 69 Cutlass Supreme that he's been driving since 69, and some of my dad's fondest driving stories involve driving absurdly fast in a late 60s Delta 98 that had a 455 Rocket in it.

iameggor

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2011
Montana
I started liking the g-bodys seeing some of the monte SS's, I could never get into the tuner cars, something about a V8 was so cool. I would always work on my friends cars and never had the cash or place for a hot rod. I ran across 2 84 Hurst/Olds, one painted the 83 colors and another original. I could not pass the price up for both and I loved the fact you wouldn't see another around town very often or at all. So I made one good driver borrowing a few parts from the other and an olds 455 as the heart of the car, and now I can't go anywhere with out someone asking me about it. I love the cutlass body lines and I love the swooping grille. I don't think I will part with it any time soon.

Attachments

• IMG_0377.jpg
    IMG_0377.jpg
    829.4 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_0650.jpg
    IMG_0650.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_1075.jpg
    IMG_1075.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 266

Meano

Apprentice
Oct 8, 2012
Tampa, FL
I was in the market for my first car and couldn't decide if I wanted a small pickup like a Ranger or S-10 or a small sports car, I came across my El Camino and it fit the bill perfect, a small car and truck. The interior was mint and the engine sounded great, not to mention it's an 87 and only had 36k miles on it at the time of purchase. Definitely a smart buy, i've had it for about 6 months now and I am in love, so much I plan on doing to her, we still have alot of time and miles to put in together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor