What Got You Into G-Bodies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
well i like the fact that you never know whats in store when you pull up next to one, i like the fact that i can eat 4 stangs per mile, lol

jatguit

Greasemonkey
Mar 27, 2007
Lets see, It all started with cars in general, waaayyy back in 1969 when my Dad bought a BRAND NEW Yellow (my favorite color) 69 Roadrunner convertible when I was 8 years old. We had fun in that car for 6 years and then it had a small engine fire and it ended up behind my sisters house until 1980 when i took ownership and got it up and runnig again for my FIRST CAR. And yup, i destroyed it -- almost. Badly damaged and I unloaded it. From there I was hooked. Had several other mopars after that and still have one.
After that I worked with a relative in a small buisness selling Chevy NOS old car parts and traveling around the country selling parts and that increased my GM knowledge and appreciation.
For g- bodys, My mother had a 78 malibu, -- then that got wrecked and then she got a 79 Pontiac Lemans, that I recieved when she was done. That 79 Lemans was just incredible and lasted until the rear bumper started to fall, If I had known better I would have had it welded and kept it going. Several years later I bought a Mint 84 bonneville and then 2 years ago I bought a mint Cutlass with low miles, out of the Junk yard, that had bad brake lines and that is what I have for a g-body now.

Munkey B

Greasemonkey
Jul 5, 2008
Detroit, michigan
i've been a mopar guy my whole life. w/a few hickups every now and then.
my first car was mom's old 80 Grand Lemans Safari Wagon complete w/woodgrain sides. car lasted me a few weeks before the 3.8 blew. this was around 1985.

fast forward, got a job that was 50 miles away. i was in process of rebuilding my 72 Dart. my girlfriend and i were sharing her 88 Festiva (yes, i know) we needed a second car. in 1993 went shopping and a black 87 GP caught our eye and was in our price range. car was nice. LE, 305/200R4, full power, rallyes, power sunroof, buckets/console.

the last 10yrs or so, have been really into trucks (yes, dodge) this last summer decided i wanted a nice summer car the wife and i can enjoy. i made a list of what i would like. i won an 87 SS on ebay. car was not as described so seller and i agreed on a "no deal". so my list was a GP, Formula or sunbird convert. car either had to have T-tops or a convert.

bought 82 first, then found the 86. the 86 is the most loaded G-body i've ever seen, esp a GP. couldn't pass the price and relatively decent condition.

so here i am. purchased my last car. this ones a keeper.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Well, growing up they were all around me.
My grandma had a blue '81 Regal Limited 2-dr, and I always loved the look of it. Then I discovered the GN, and figured out they were the same car.
My other grandma had an '87 2-dr Caprice(a/c & radio delete car, what a perfect candidate for a BBC :x ), and her husband had a black '78 Buick Regal 2-dr.
Along with that, we had a young gal that babysat for us over the summer, and her car was a hand-me-down '79 Pontiac LeMans Safari wagon, which I also thought was awesome. My neighbors also had an '83 Cutlass wagon. I remember riding in the back of that thing countless times going to the community swimming pool. Wonder how I got into wagons...
Around 5 or 6 years old, my other neighbors' son bought a '79 Monte and fixed it up over the summer with one of his buddies, and I watched them work on it all the time.
Fast forward a while. My grandma always knew that I liked her Buick, and she said that when I turned 16, I could have it. Well about a month before I turned 16, she suffered a stroke that left her partially paralyzed. A month passed and I got the car. It needed some work, but it was a good start. Unfortunately, my dad had been tricked into leasing a new Jeep the previous year by my older sister for us to share. Well, my dad didn't like having the extra car around, and doubting that I'd ever do anything with it (I had just started my job at a service station), he donated the car after it got a parking ticket sitting in front of the house, only two months after I got it. He finally admitted what a mistake he made a few years ago... :roll:
The next summer, I got sick of never being able to use the Jeep that my sister and I were supposed to be sharing, so with some help from my other grandma, I bought my '84 El Camino. I learned a lot from that car, and from there on, I was hooked. Less than a year later I had my 442 after seeing what a beautiful '86 Cutlass my best friends older brother had.
After graduating high school, more G-bodies came and went. I had a '79 Cutlass Supreme, an '87 Cutlass Salon, an '81 Monte Carlo, an 81 El Camino, the '79 Malibu wagon I still have, and finally this summer I purchased my newest, my '83 Cutlass Cruiser wagon.

I'm sure glad I wasn't raised around Ford people! :lol:
I'd probably be driving a Fox-body Fairmont wagon!

utfan01ss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 20, 2009
Knoxville, TN
I've always been a F-body guy, first car was a 1987 LT camaro fully loaded with the slow LG4 305. I bought a 1998 White Convertable Ram Air Trans Am, ended up totaling it. Then I bought a Sebring Silver metallic 1998 Z-28 camaro, installed a cam and other bolt ons. Loved that car but wasn't the one I wanted so in 2001 I ordered a Navy Blue Metallic Loaded SLP M6 SS camaro and still own it today. Now as far as the G-bodies, I've always loved the Monte Carlo's, Regal's and Olds cutlasses but my wife loves them more. She hates my camaro because it sits too low for her, she's a little short at 5ft 4in. Her first car was a 1987 Monte Carlo SS, black with T-tops and fully loaded. I bought her a 98 Monte Z-34 when we got married and she loved it, though it's a front wheel drive V6, still a nice car. Some guy slammed into her one day while she was going to work and totaled it. So I bought her a 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP with the super charged 3.8L. It was a complete POS, was in the shop almost every week for something so we sold it and I bought her a BMW. I just recently picked up a mint 1985 Cutlass which is fully loaded, vinyl top, rally wheels, 51,000 original miles, etc.. for her to drive to car shows. So when we go out as a family for a cruise we take the Cutlass as my SS is a little too nasty to drive with the family in the car. Sorry it's so long, that's my story though. I love GM and the G-body cars.

83LSWagon

Apprentice
Aug 19, 2008
I was always a JEEP guy. Yep, I drove one of those lifted gas hogs. :lol: (Still do)
I came across a SCORE of an LS1 though, and had planned on putting it in the jeep. After a while though, all my friends who had lifted trucks either moved or sold their trucks. Since I couldn't wheel alone, I got tired of having a street only lifted Jeep. So, in the summer of 08, I started looking for a car to put the LS into. After searching, and searching, I came across this wicked looking station wagon. It was a 79 Malibu Wagon w/ a 350 and air ride. I didn't think much of it for a while. Then, I came to the realization that I would not be able to afford a pre 1975 car as an 18 yo kid, so I started looking for acceptable post 75 cars, and came across the same wagon again. After much thought, I decided that this would be the way to go since I felt there was a good chance that these cars are the next generation Nova type muscle cars.

stencer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 16, 2009
My uncle had always had a Monte Carlo since he was 18. When I was born (88), he had an 80 Monte Carlo. Shortly after I was born, he bought the 1987 SS you see in my signature. That was the first car I remember, and I told him when I was 6 on up that I wanted the car some day. Sure enough, I ended up buying it from him.

gator2206

Apprentice
Feb 22, 2009
Zanesville,Ohio
Well my first car was a 66 Impala 327 3 on the tree.Well one night out cruisin the strip here in podunk, we were all sitti at the shopping plaza, well I was looking for a smaller car too put a 427 in I was buildin and an older gent pulled in the lot in a pristine 71 Nova too park it with For Sale signs. I checked it out and test drove it, and fell in love with it, so we made arrangements and all and I talked my mom into loaning me the money, so the following friday after (at that point in my life) the longest week of my life I hurried home too find that they guy decided not too sell it :(. Well my uncle and I went on a car hunt well I found a nice 72 Chevelle I really liked.So I crawled over every inch of it then decided I wanted it, so into the garage I went and walked right into what I thought was the hottest car I had ever seen
my71.jpg

A black and cream colored 71 Cutlass S. Well I ended up buying it this was in march of 1988 my senior year in High School. Well I ended up moving outta my mom and step-dads place and in with my girlfriend that was 2 years older then myself. I fell in love with oldsmobiles that summer (my grand dad on my moms side was already a diehard olds guy) well in September of 88,I got the great news every 18yo wants too hear my GF was pregnant. Well we needed a second car so my grand dad co-signed a loan for me and I got a beautiful all white with dark blue interior 1980 Cutlass Supreme. Well a year later the 80 blew a head gasket and the same weeken a buddy totaled his 86 Grand National. I traded him a Dan Marino rookie card,a Jordan RC, a Joe Montana RC and 2 Barry Sanders RC's for the drivetrain outta the GN and put it in my 80 cutlass talk about a sleeper, anyways I fell In love with Gbodies back then.....sorry so long I hope you enjoyed the story on how I fell in love with G-Bodies[/img]

NY87SS

Greasemonkey
Dec 14, 2008
Palmyra, NY
In high school I always did like the looks of the mid-late 70's Monte, but I had always favored the F-bodies and had owned over 12 of them.
After we got married the 4th Gens had always caught my eyes again, but just being married the few extra grand they costed over other cars we had just put them out of reach.
2+ years ago my father in law died leaving us a pretty hefty amount of money to play with. First we added that addition to the house we always wanted and for some strange unknown to this day reason my wife said we should look for a play car so you will leave your new cars alone and waste money modifying them only to trade them in ever 3 or so years. So I was looking for a 85+ F body since we both had favored them over anything else.

One day having a estate sale at the father in laws house the neighbor kiddie corner put out his 4th gen he had owned for a number of years, for sale. I said to the wife, look Gerry is selling his T-topped SS. Well the wife immediately said lets go look at that. Looked it all over, 100% original needing more cosmetics than anything else the wife asked what he wanted. Came right out with a counter offer, she lowered the counter by saying we would have CASH IN HAND within minutes if he took our offer. He did and 30 minutes later it was sitting in the garage at my father in laws house waiting for plates to ride home.

Wasn't to awful thrilled at first, but I did like the car, but I had wanted a F body badly. Took about a month for it to overtake the f-body craving my having to tinker with it and now its full blown. All new interior is waiting instead of cleaning up the very decent interior that was in it to make it perfect. Trunk kit is waiting, its at paint getting a 2 tone custom job and when it returns home we will them rebuild the motor and suspenion over next winter and enjoy this year with fresh paint etc.

I'm now hooked and will begin looking after the garage goes up for a 75-77 Monte for myself since that is her car and do a big block 5-6 speed and have a his and hers.

CutlassJ

Greasemonkey
Oct 30, 2008
Northwest Suburbs IL
My first car was an 1984 cutlass brouham. I always wanted an 84 hurst so i could put in a 403 with a shaker, but found an amazing deal on 81 calais with a BBO motor and that was that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor