What is everyone's favorite G body model and why ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I really think this is why we like and love thsee cars, they are part of us, growing up and great or first memories. I have had Chevelles and GTOs, even a GS and a couple 442s...but they were cool older cars that I could afford at the time. Now they have all but been priced out of an affordable toy to enjoy. That is why I guess I cling to G-body cars. That and the writing is clearly on the wall...they are the last of the Mohicans, much like most of us that tinker and search for power and fun.

It makes me wonder if the dinosaurs knew that their time was coming to an end?

I think you hit it right on the head, at least for me...I feel the same way, they're part of the good 'ol days when life seemed simpler before all the grown-up responsibilities set in.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 6 users

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I've already replied but have to tell the story of my first 87 GN. In the early 90s I was heavy into 55 Chevy cars. I had a bunch and knew them well. I was driving in my 55 2 door post to an appointment about 30 miles from home. I drove by a body shop and there was an 87 T top GN sitting out front for sale. I pulled in and was looking at it when the body shop owner came out. I told him I couldn't afford it but was just looking. He said he'd trade. I test drove it which was my first time ever to drive an intercooled Buick. That sucker took off and my seat belt kept getting tighter and tighter. I drove back and we made the trade. Had it about a year and got some cash and a Buick GS with GSX wing and hood. I think I had it for about a month before getting rid of it. I was always on to the next. Now I can't work on stuff as much as I used to. It takes me longer but I'm more into keeping them. NOW is the time to buy G bodys. I believe they will be the next tri chevy or muscle car money comparison in years to come. Not saying they're going to bring $100,000+ (except GNX) but the steady $ climb. 10 years ago I bought a Buick GN for $4500. No way I'd find one now for that. I wanted to buy a GNX in around 1995. It was $35,000. Boy how that would have been an investment. I had just opened a shop and was pretty maxed out already. I'm on craigslist and ebay all the time looking for G body deals. I don't need any more projects but what the heck

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
I love the 87-88 Monte Carlo ss followed by the 86 ss.and then any year and model monte. Then the 81-88 cutlass supreme.

driver

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2013
just have to say best body lines are found in a 78 monte over the hood and into the doors pure for the body

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Junebugs 86Cuttleya

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 20, 2017
Nashville
1. GN! first g body was 85 Buick Regal.
2. Olds! current project is 442/HO Replica I love the spoiler, the lightning rod shifter, hood scoop, & graphics so I'm putting it all in my scheme lol hence I'm calling her 442/HO
3. SS MC & El Camino I'm a bit of a label ho so I'd take SS over any standard g body
4. GP not sure which year but some of the nastiest lines ever I think 78 not sure but it's lines puts it ahead of
5. Malibu the drag racing legend

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
1. 78-79 monte
2. 84-87 regal
3. 81-85 cutlass
4. 83-88 MC SS
5. 78-79 cutlass
6. 78-81 Malibu
7. 81-87 Grand Prix
8. The rest - they are all cool

Reactions: 1 users

fastSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 13, 2016
As a kid, 3 g body cars in particular stood out:
1) 83-88 Monte Carlo SS - In the late 80s/early 90s, 95% of the gbodies on the road were regals/montes/cutlass/wagons with wire wheel covers, chrome trim, vinyl roofs, bench seats and either brown, green, or tan. So seeing a monte ss with black out trim, 15" aluminum wheels, NASCAR inspired nose was really a head turner.
2) 84-87 Grand National - at the time these were more or less just a magazine car......virtually none existed in my area.....but I loved the story of the legendary turbo v6
3) 85-87 442 - test drive one when I was 16 but couldn't afford it at the time. I liked the fact that it was a sporty version of the cutlass.
Shoulda hung out at the dragstrips where there was always a half dozen or so GN's Ttypes and GNX's out tearing it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor