what kind of electrical gremelin would cause this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandPrixGuy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 18, 2022
I have a stock 86 GP and when I bought it it used to start fine every time. It still starts but over the years its been doing this thing where the starter will only click once, wont turn over or continue clicking like a normal faulty starter, just 1 click and that's it. It's something that has gotten gradually worse as time passes to the point where now I never know if it'll start first time or if I've gotta do the "click" 3-4 times before it'll turn over. Ive swapped 6+ different batteries, changed the starter 5 times with good working/bench tested or the most recent remanufactured units, cleaned the solinoid connections, cleaned all the grounds I could find in the engine bay, added an additional 18 gauge ground wire from the starter bolt to the neg. terminal, changed the ignition switch, changed the positive batt cable, and also tried grounding the motor to the batt. with booster cables. It has an immobilizer but its the same one its had since before the issue arose. the only other thing to add is that if I use the boost function on my battery charger, it'll fire up every time so LOTS of power seems to override whatever is going on. I checked it for a parasitic drain and there's nothing aside from the when the clock is running. Is there anything else I can lean towards? Thx

Supa.Slo.SS

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2020
CA
Faulty safety neutral switch?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Have you checked or replaced fusible links?
I also don't rely on just factory grounds I always add a few 1/0 grounds to my cars.

Reactions: 1 user

GrandPrixGuy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 18, 2022
I also don't rely on just factory grounds I always add a few 1/0 grounds to my were already cut out before I bought it

I also don't rely on just factory grounds I always add a few 1/0 grounds to my cars.
Im pretty sure they were cut out already and just running off straight wire. I'd have to double check tho, I haven't been under it in a little over a year due to body/paint taking place. I did check the terminals with a multi meter tho and had the same voltage as the battery so I'd assume with or without them, its getting all the battery has to offer

Reactions: 1 user

John Canon

Apprentice
Apr 19, 2022
Vancouver Canada
Whenever I had that symptom, it was one of the battery terminals. Here is a quick test: turn on your headlights before you try the starter. If it clicks and the headlights go out ... there you go.

GrandPrixGuy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 18, 2022
Whenever I had that symptom, it was one of the battery terminals. Here is a quick test: turn on your headlights before you try the starter. If it clicks and the headlights go out ... there you go.
they have both been changed and are new. I also put in a new battery today and cleaned both the posts and the cable ends. still doing it

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
You need to perform a voltage drop test on the the starter circuit.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor