What Kind Of Power Steering in an 86' Cutlass Supreme?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emhendo

Apprentice
May 20, 2019
Chicago Soufsidee
Time to pull one's panties out of their crack...and grow a thicker foreskin because the guys were just ribbing the new guy as it were. Take everything here with a grain of salt. Acting all defensive like that you're going to find out soon nobody is going to want to help. You got to learn to let water roll off your back or you're going to be angry an awful lot.

For some of us, we learned about PS fluid in the 3rd grade. Which could be many many years ago. So the "senior" folks tend to throw a little jazz at the newer guys asking what seems to us very basic questions. Don't take the ribbing personally. It's all in fun.

As for what kind, I've used the Delco and Prestone with equal results. You can even run the ATF if you wanted to. But it's red where most of the PS fluid is either clear or slightly tinted tan or brown-ish.

Find your power steering gear hoses on top of the unit which is on the inside driver's side of the frame right behind the radiator. Follow the hoses to the engine where you'll see a belt driven pump. There's a cap on the top of the reservoir. That's where you add the fluid. There's also a little dip stick on the cap bottom to show you if you're full or not.

Thank you for your wise but ball busting response.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that gets a little irritated here. We all have nice cars and have many questions about them.. No matter how simple or dumb they are. I barely said anything to anyone, so I'm just trynna move past this now.

While I don't expect an essay from you all, I do appreciate a well-explained response that really helps myself and others retain this information. Thanks to you, I've found the reservoir.

I appreciate your response... Prestone looks promising, I just wanted to hear it from someone else that has maybe had more experience with Gbodies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Simple.

Not an 1986 Cutlass Supreme Brougham.

I don't care what year that is. We don't have the same car... So :bs:

you were asking advise from other cutlass owners, you did not specify year or model. Plus flemings442 is more of an Olds than what you have in 86

"I'm just simply asking what brand do other Cutlass owners go with.. Prestone, Autozone brand, etc. ?? Just some advice from other CUTLASS owners. Do you even own one? "

Emhendo

Apprentice
May 20, 2019
Chicago Soufsidee
But it is a CUTLASS and that is what you asked

I know you been hiding behind the shadows, egging on this bullshit...

But to respond to your sh*t stirring.. I don't consider his car a Cutlass, in the same aspect. As far as a CUTLASS.. It may have the same name, it may be before my time, might even be a better ride ... But it's not the G-Body Cutlass that I KNOW and love. So when I asked does he own one, he obviously does not.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You'll be fine. Like I said, don't take it personally. There's a lot of information to be had if you hang around here. Some of these guys have even bought their G-bodies new. :whistle:

Ball busting is standard operating procedure when a new guy shows up here. Don't mean nothing by it, so like I said, take it with a grain of salt. You'll know when someone is actually trying to be mean.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
GM has suggested/used the same powerstering fluid from atleast the '50's to modern cars. The power steering gear box & pumps are of the same design with minor changes outside of starting to phase in metric spec pumps around '80 & is the same set up for the RWD platforms (A, B, C, D, F, G, X for examples.) A Cutlass (F85 as it's original base model name was) is a Cutlass from when it was made an A body in '64 to '81 & '82-'88 when GM changed the RWD A's to G bodies.

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
I know you been hiding behind the shadows, egging on this bullshit...

But to respond to your sh*t stirring.. I don't consider his car a Cutlass, in the same aspect. As far as a CUTLASS.. It may have the same name, it may be before my time, might even be a better ride ... But it's not the G-Body Cutlass that I KNOW and love. So when I asked does he own one, he obviously does not.
just been eating PC lol
you can split hairs all you want to, a cutlass is a cutlass is a cutlass.
Maybe you should invest in a service manual, it will get you antiquated with the Gbody since it seems you don't know anything about yet.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Emhendo

Apprentice
May 20, 2019
Chicago Soufsidee
you were asking advise from other cutlass owners, you did not specify year or model. Plus flemings442 is more of an Olds than what you have in 86

"I'm just simply asking what brand do other Cutlass owners go with.. Prestone, Autozone brand, etc. ?? Just some advice from other CUTLASS owners. Do you even own one? "

Gdtlbus.jpg
Look.

We can do this whole guessing game, "be more specific" bullshit... But I asked a general question with my Year, Make, and Model in the title.. So **** is it to you whether his car is a Cutlass or not?

And don't even go there, you probably don't know the first ****in thing about an Olds. You a Pontiac guy.. Just step off. AHAHAHAAAA!!!

"IT's MoRE OF aN OlDs thAN WhAT YoU HaVe iN '86"

Man, gone on with that..

Emhendo

Apprentice
May 20, 2019
Chicago Soufsidee
just been eating PC lol
you can split hairs all you want to, a cutlass is a cutlass is a cutlass.
Maybe you should invest in a service manual, it will get you antiquated with the Gbody since it seems you don't know anything about yet.

I don't have to invest in sh*t. This website was made for people with the same platform cars and have the knowledge of these cars, so if I got a question here - I'm at the right place and well within my right..

Ya'll act like the service manual is the bible.. That damn book don't have all the answers. Especially back in the 80s.. So :blah:

• Disagree

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
I don't have to invest in sh*t. This website was made for people with the same platform cars and have the knowledge of these cars, so if I got a question here - I'm at the right place and well within my right..

Ya'll act like the service manual is the bible.. That damn book don't have all the answers. Especially back in the 80s.. So :blah:
didn't say you HAD to said you SHOULD. then you would be so naive when it come to simple sh*t, So far the SM would have answered all your questions , like how many quarts of oil does it hold lol. If you want to ask that simp;le sh*t here you better be ready for some flac or step off as you say

• Winner

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
So GM lied about how to service the cars they built? They wasted time to produce a service manual that was updated with the changes for the year covered? A few members worked at GM dealerships over the years & used the service manuals to ensure the work is done correctly. There are things that you need to refere to the manual for even for those of us who have been owning our cars close to 30 years or more. By the way does your Cutlass have the base model BUICK 3.8L V6 or the optional Oldsmoblle 5.0L V8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor